Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/07/19 14:20:25 UTC

[PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

We currently have this link from the download page,from 2009,
announcing end-of-life for OpenOffice.org 2.x:

http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol.html

I'd like to update that page to also state that 3.x version prior to
3.4.x are also end-of-life.  Why?  We're unlikely to issue any more
security patches for 3.3.0 or earlier.

So the concrete proposal is:

1) Update the eol.html page to state that OOo 3.3.0 and earlier are no
longer supported.

2) Create a new landing page for users of OOo 3.3.0 and before who are
using a language version that we do not yet have a translation.
Explain in this page that the earlier versions are no longer
supported.  List what translations are currently available and where
they can be downloaded from.  Give information on how they can
volunteer to help translate AOO into their native language.

3) Configure the update notification server to OOo 3.3.0 users to this
new landing page, if their language is not already translated.  (Where
there is a translation we already point them to the download page)

4) Blog post/announcement on end-of-life for OOo 3.3.0 and earlier.

The end result is that:  1) We made it clear what versions are
supported.  2) We did our due diligence to reach out to users of older
versions.  3) We encourage new translation volunteers.

No rush on this.  It does not need to be done at the same time as the
4.0 announcement.  It can follow a week or so later.

-Rob

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/19/13 2:20 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> We currently have this link from the download page,from 2009,
> announcing end-of-life for OpenOffice.org 2.x:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol.html
>
> I'd like to update that page to also state that 3.x version prior to
> 3.4.x are also end-of-life.  Why?  We're unlikely to issue any more
> security patches for 3.3.0 or earlier.
>
> So the concrete proposal is:
>
> 1) Update the eol.html page to state that OOo 3.3.0 and earlier are no
> longer supported.
>
> 2) Create a new landing page for users of OOo 3.3.0 and before who are
> using a language version that we do not yet have a translation.
> Explain in this page that the earlier versions are no longer
> supported.  List what translations are currently available and where
> they can be downloaded from.  Give information on how they can
> volunteer to help translate AOO into their native language.
>
> 3) Configure the update notification server to OOo 3.3.0 users to this
> new landing page, if their language is not already translated.  (Where
> there is a translation we already point them to the download page)
>
> 4) Blog post/announcement on end-of-life for OOo 3.3.0 and earlier.
>
> The end result is that:  1) We made it clear what versions are
> supported.  2) We did our due diligence to reach out to users of older
> versions.  3) We encourage new translation volunteers.
>
> No rush on this.  It does not need to be done at the same time as the
> 4.0 announcement.  It can follow a week or so later.

+1

Juergen

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/02/2013 06:11 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Nov 1, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> Yes, but up to now we haven't sent it to some dozen millions non-English
>>> speaking users through update notices... Note that this is not the page
>>> describing the End-of-life; it is the landing page where people will be
>>> pointed at by a message (in OpenOffice) telling there that an update for
>>> OpenOffice is available. This is why I prefer that we actually talk
>>> about upgrades in the title.
>>
>> Ah, I haven't noticed that it's the eol-nl you meant. Of course there it should be most understandable as possible.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise.
>
> I don't think this is noise, but instead there is a good idea here.
>
> Instead of writing End-of-life we should use the term EOL and then we define it.

You mean, to guide the users into the direction we would like that they
understand it. Right?

Sounds like a good idea.

Marcus

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Nov 1, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 11/01/2013 08:44 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Marcus (OOo) ha scritto:
>>> Up to today I don't know of a single case were this led to a
>>> misunderstanding.
>>
>> Yes, but up to now we haven't sent it to some dozen millions non-English
>> speaking users through update notices... Note that this is not the page
>> describing the End-of-life; it is the landing page where people will be
>> pointed at by a message (in OpenOffice) telling there that an update for
>> OpenOffice is available. This is why I prefer that we actually talk
>> about upgrades in the title.
>
> Ah, I haven't noticed that it's the eol-nl you meant. Of course there it should be most understandable as possible.
>
> Sorry for the noise.

I don't think this is noise, but instead there is a good idea here.

Instead of writing End-of-life we should use the term EOL and then we define it.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 01.11.2013 08:44, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Marcus (OOo) ha scritto:
>> Up to today I don't know of a single case were this led to a
>> misunderstanding.
>
> Yes, but up to now we haven't sent it to some dozen millions non-English
> speaking users through update notices... Note that this is not the page
> describing the End-of-life; it is the landing page where people will be
> pointed at by a message (in OpenOffice) telling there that an update for
> OpenOffice is available. This is why I prefer that we actually talk
> about upgrades in the title.

Keeping in mind that this page is the landing page for certain
OpenOffice update notifications I agree with Andrea.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marcus (OOo) ha scritto:
> Up to today I don't know of a single case were this led to a
> misunderstanding.

Yes, but up to now we haven't sent it to some dozen millions non-English
speaking users through update notices... Note that this is not the page
describing the End-of-life; it is the landing page where people will be
pointed at by a message (in OpenOffice) telling there that an update for
OpenOffice is available. This is why I prefer that we actually talk
about upgrades in the title.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/31/2013 11:35 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pe...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 29/10/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> And here is a draft of the landing page we'd send users to who have an
>>> older version of OOo if there is not an AOO version in their language:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol-nl.html
>>

>> This will be very useful to attract volunteers. A few questions/remarks:
>>
>> 1) Can we avoid that all languages are notified at the same time? For
>> example, Danish and another language have been at 100% for about one month
>> and I hope we can release them in November. While Arabic is a language where
>> we can use more volunteers right now.
>>

> We can control it.  But we have Arabic in 3.4.1 so they would not get
> this notification.   But there are around 11 other languages that had
> full releases in 3.3.0 that are not supported in 4.0.1.   There are
> more that were only supported via langpack's in 3.3.0, but our update
> notifications are only for full version updates.
>

>> 2) Can the title be changed so that it doesn't look an obituary to
>> non-native speakers? Like "Please upgrade to OpenOffice 4.0.1 - or help
>> translating it into your language". Or anything that cannot be understood as
>> "OpenOffice is dead".
>>

> "End of Life" is a common industry term, but it is fine to make the
> title more friendly.

Right, EOL is an widely used and understood term. Therefore we should
not change things that we believe that could be misunderstood by a few
people. Up to today I don't know of a single case were this led to a
misunderstanding.

So, I don't see a real need to change the title as it is clear that not
the software is meant in general but a special part of it only.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/11/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> I compared the list of languages supported with full installers in OOo
> 3.3.0 with what we have in AOO 4.0.1.  The following languages are
> missing in AOO 4.0.1

Not bad. At the time we were releasing languages that were 80% complete
while we now require 100% completion, so 14 missing languages means that
we managed to have full translations for most of the languages, not
counting the new languages that are released or almost released.

> And a few others are "almost complete":
> Norwegian (Bokmål)
> Hebrew
> Catalan
> Arabic

The picture I made in http://markmail.org/message/keap3twmumgsrfcy might
be more accurate. Namely, we are not seeing a lot of activity in Catalan
and Arabic, so we can involve more volunteers there.

> So maybe we able notification for the remaining ones, which are:
> Bengali
> Catalan (Valencian)
> Estonian
> Irish
> Kurdish
> Macedonian
> Mongolian
> Norwegian (Nynorsk)
> Oromo
> Serbian (Latin)

Norwegian Nynorsk and Serbian Latin are on hold, meaning that we do have
bilingual volunteers, but they preferred to focus on the other option
(Norwegian Bokmal and Serbian Cyrillic) for the time being.

I realized we are assuming that users are able to read the English text
at http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol-nl.html ; shall we
maybe start with a smaller group of people who have a reasonable
likelihood to understand English and see how it works? For example, we
might start with Irish and Estonian users, or Irish, Estonian and
Norwegian Nynorsk if we want to recruit some more people for the
Norwegian team.

The reason for being careful is that (if I remember correctly, but this
should be checked) the information that an update is available is cached
somewhere in OpenOffice, so once we push the notification there's no way
to withdraw it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 29/10/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> And here is a draft of the landing page we'd send users to who have an
>> older version of OOo if there is not an AOO version in their language:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol-nl.html
>

> This will be very useful to attract volunteers. A few questions/remarks:
>
> 1) Can we avoid that all languages are notified at the same time? For
> example, Danish and another language have been at 100% for about one month
> and I hope we can release them in November. While Arabic is a language where
> we can use more volunteers right now.

I compared the list of languages supported with full installers in OOo
3.3.0 with what we have in AOO 4.0.1.  The following languages are
missing in AOO 4.0.1:

Arabic
Bengali
Bulgarian
Catalan
Catalan (Valencian)
Danish
Estonian
Hebrew
Irish
Kurdish
Macedonian
Mongolian
Norwegian (Bokmål)
Norwegian (Nynorsk)
Oromo
Serbian (Latin)

Of these some are now completed translated.  We just need some testing
and a new release:

Danish
Bulgarian

And a few others are "almost complete":

Norwegian (Bokmål)
Hebrew
Catalan
Arabic

So maybe we able notification for the remaining ones, which are:

Bengali
Catalan (Valencian)
Estonian
Irish
Kurdish
Macedonian
Mongolian
Norwegian (Nynorsk)
Oromo
Serbian (Latin)

> 2) Can the title be changed so that it doesn't look an obituary to
> non-native speakers? Like "Please upgrade to OpenOffice 4.0.1 - or help
> translating it into your language". Or anything that cannot be understood as
> "OpenOffice is dead".

I've updated that page.

> 3) Link to the l10n list must be fixed (last line).

Fix this as well.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I'd like to move forward now with this proposal from July.
> >
> > I've updated the EOL page here to say that OOo 3.3.0 and earlier are
> > no longer supported.  That page also explains what this means.
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol.html
> >
> > I'll start to do the other 3 items now.  I'll coordinate with Oliver
> > on the update notifications.
> >

> And here is a draft of the landing page we'd send users to who have an
> older version of OOo if there is not an AOO version in their language:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol-nl.html
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

+1

both look good to me

> > Of course, help on any of these items is welcome.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> - Shenfeng (Simon)

MzK

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
 Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
                          -- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> I'd like to move forward now with this proposal from July.
>>
>> I've updated the EOL page here to say that OOo 3.3.0 and earlier
>> are no longer supported.  That page also explains what this
>> means.
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol.html
>>
>> I'll start to do the other 3 items now.  I'll coordinate with
>> Oliver on the update notifications.
>>

> And here is a draft of the landing page we'd send users to who have
> an older version of OOo if there is not an AOO version in their
> language:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol-nl.html
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Rob;
I would suggest that you re-order the list of alternatives such that
the non-recommended item is the last entry such as below:

Download Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 in another language that you are
familiar with.

Sign up for our announcements mailing list so you will be notified of
new languages and releases when they become available.

Volunteer to help translate OpenOffice into your native language.

(Not Recommended) Continue running an unsupported version of OpenOffice

This puts the non-recommended option further from the initial line of
sight of the reader thus (hopefully) lessening the likelihood they
will grab onto it as the preferred alternative.

Regards
Keith

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
2013/7/19 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> We currently have this link from the download page,from 2009,
> announcing end-of-life for OpenOffice.org 2.x:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol.html
>
> I'd like to update that page to also state that 3.x version prior to
> 3.4.x are also end-of-life.  Why?  We're unlikely to issue any more
> security patches for 3.3.0 or earlier.
>
> So the concrete proposal is:
>
> 1) Update the eol.html page to state that OOo 3.3.0 and earlier are no
> longer supported.
>
> 2) Create a new landing page for users of OOo 3.3.0 and before who are
> using a language version that we do not yet have a translation.
> Explain in this page that the earlier versions are no longer
> supported.  List what translations are currently available and where
> they can be downloaded from.  Give information on how they can
> volunteer to help translate AOO into their native language.
>
> 3) Configure the update notification server to OOo 3.3.0 users to this
> new landing page, if their language is not already translated.  (Where
> there is a translation we already point them to the download page)
>
> 4) Blog post/announcement on end-of-life for OOo 3.3.0 and earlier.
>
> The end result is that:  1) We made it clear what versions are
> supported.  2) We did our due diligence to reach out to users of older
> versions.  3) We encourage new translation volunteers.
>
> No rush on this.  It does not need to be done at the same time as the
> 4.0 announcement.  It can follow a week or so later.
>
> -Rob

+1

- Shenfeng (Simon)

Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/19/2013 02:20 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> We currently have this link from the download page,from 2009,
> announcing end-of-life for OpenOffice.org 2.x:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol.html
>
> I'd like to update that page to also state that 3.x version prior to
> 3.4.x are also end-of-life.  Why?  We're unlikely to issue any more
> security patches for 3.3.0 or earlier.
>
> So the concrete proposal is:
>
> 1) Update the eol.html page to state that OOo 3.3.0 and earlier are no
> longer supported.

IMHO it's worth it to keep the old content for reference. So, better to
add a section for OOo 3.3.0 instead of overwriting the stuff.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

rgds
jan i