Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> on 2016/03/12 20:40:19 UTC

Blocked release of maven-sling-plugin

Hi,
I intend to release maven-sling-plugin 2.1.8 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING/fixforversion/12334142).
Unfortunately currently the POM contains a dependency towards a SNAPSHOT version of org.apache.sling.commons.json.
The according commit, which changed that version is http://svn.apache.org/r1713420 from Stefan Seifert.

I fail to understand why it was upgraded and there was also no JIRA issue number referenced in the commit.
As far as I can see the not yet released version of o.a.s.commons.json 2.0.18 does not contain any fixed issues: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING/fixforversion/12334141.
What was the reason why the snapshot dependency towards the newest o.a.s.commons.json was introduced?

I would appreciate whenever a dependency to the latest SNAPSHOT is added the relevant JIRA issue number would be referenced in the according commit. Otherwise this may block releases.
Thanks,
Konrad

Re: Blocked release of maven-sling-plugin

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Actually that will not reveal what needs to be fixed in the pom.xml until another release was done.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...The really annoying part is that we don't have tooling for this and
> updating the snapshot dependencies for releases is a manual task...

Doing a full build, removing the org.apache.sling.* folders from you
local Maven repository and building again with -o will cause the build
to break on any out of date Sling SNAPSHOT references.

It's not a fantastic "tool" but can be helpful IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: Blocked release of maven-sling-plugin

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Konrad Windszus wrote
> Sorry, indeed I didn't read carefully enough.
> Still I would have expected, that in case the release is not yet available from Maven Central the dependency would be rolled back to the previous SNAPSHOT version (which would have been 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT), because that one will not be modified any longer. But instead you referenced the new development version, which might be influenced by other commits.
> At first glance (without looking at the history) it is impossible to tell, whether that was referenced, because
> a) the previous release is not yet available at Maven Central
> b) the SNAPSHOT already contains an important fix which did not yet end up in a release

We can't use the previous snapshot as this might not be available.
Imagine someone checking out Sling and trying to build it. It will fail
as the previous version is not part of the reactor.
We run into this issue a lot during the year, when a release is done and
the snapshot reference is *not* updated.

I think the problem is not huge, a vote usually takes three dates, so
it's very unlikely that something new is committed to the module under
vote in this period. And even if, it should be compatible anyway.

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Sorry, indeed I didn't read carefully enough.
Still I would have expected, that in case the release is not yet available from Maven Central the dependency would be rolled back to the previous SNAPSHOT version (which would have been 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT), because that one will not be modified any longer. But instead you referenced the new development version, which might be influenced by other commits.
At first glance (without looking at the history) it is impossible to tell, whether that was referenced, because
a) the previous release is not yet available at Maven Central
b) the SNAPSHOT already contains an important fix which did not yet end up in a release

Would it be possible to just reference the previous SNAPSHOT in case a) or is that one removed from the Apache Snapshot Nexus repository?
Konrad

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.