Posted to user@struts.apache.org by To...@aol.com on 2003/06/24 14:56:29 UTC

character entities conversion

Has anyone any idea how to get  character entities which are delivered to a
Java Bean from a database converted or rendered to its normal characters in a
JSP layer?

E.g.. I have a database which is delivering "&","'" etc. instead of
the characters "&", "'" etc. in my JSP presentation layer.

I have set <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java"%>
in my JSPs but to no-avail.

I am getting an output such as :

"...you use UNIX, you probably use csh to type commands even if you&#039;ve
never heard of it. It&#039;s the standard shell (command line) on most UNIX
systems..."

instead of :
"....you use UNIX, you probably use csh to type commands even if you've never
heard of it. It's the standard shell (command line) on most UNIX systems...."

Thanks.

Bob

Re: character entities conversion

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 24 June 2003 08:56, TopBid987654321@aol.com wrote:
> Has anyone any idea how to get  character entities which are delivered to a
> Java Bean from a database converted or rendered to its normal characters in
> a JSP layer?
>
> E.g.. I have a database which is delivering "&amp;","&#039;" etc. instead
> of the characters "&", "'" etc. in my JSP presentation layer.
>
> I have set <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java"%>
> in my JSPs but to no-avail.
>
> I am getting an output such as :
>
> "...you use UNIX, you probably use csh to type commands even if you&#039;ve
> never heard of it. It&#039;s the standard shell (command line) on most UNIX
> systems..."
>
> instead of :
> "....you use UNIX, you probably use csh to type commands even if you've
> never heard of it. It's the standard shell (command line) on most UNIX
> systems...."

Depending on what tag you are using, take a look at what the filter attribute
does.

--
James Mitchell
Software Developer/Struts Evangelist