Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Tyler Moore <tm...@goflyball.com> on 2016/10/19 18:42:16 UTC

Getting Started / Acquring a Mentor

Hey Metron Devs,

I wanted to introduce myself and see how I can contribute to the project
and hopefully get some insight on the process to become a commiter.

A little background on me, I have several years of enterprise support
experience and recently transitioned to the dev community because as we all
know its where the magic happens ;)
I taught myself web-dev, mostly front-end although I have some experience
with back-end technologies. I also work with Java, Python, V-Basic (only if
requried) and of course batch and bash scripting. I develop on both linux
an windows platforms and have experience with mac systems as well. I am
very interested in security topics and security research along with machine
learning, which is why this project peaked my interest. I currently work as
a software engineer in Detroit, MI.

I have been working with the Metron platform for a couple months now at my
work, we've been implementing some data capture solutions already and
starting to integrate that with Metron for analysis. Our goals are to
implement an automated Metron solution for threat detection analysis at
client networks and eventually expand the platform to include visual threat
detection based on area of operation (monitoring through video surveillance
feeds).

I would like to know Apache's process to obtain committer status and what
steps I should take to get there. Also I have seen mention in the wiki of a
mentoring program but that wasn't explained anywhere in the documentation
so if anyone has more information on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Tyler Moore
Software Engineer
Flyball Labs

Re: Getting Started / Acquring a Mentor

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Tyler!

I think you and I are in very similar scenarios - would love to chat more
sometime.  In addition to what Matt said above, check out the IRC channel
on freenode #apache-metron.  Looking forward to working together on this
project :)

Jon

Jon

Re: Getting Started / Acquring a Mentor