Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by allan juul <al...@muly.dk> on 2005/03/24 22:03:15 UTC

automatically updating a branch

hi

i have a feeling i have overlooked something, so i need advice on this
scenario:

we have two branches called Mainline and Maintain

everytime we built and deploy our Mainline branch to our production
machines we will automatically need to update the Maintain branch to
consist of an exact snapshot of that Mainline branch just deployed.

so that the HEAD versions in either branch after such a production build
will be identical.

this could easily involve deletions, renames, added files and so on.

current solution
----------------

the easiest by far seems to be these steps

1) delete the entire Maintain branch
2) copy mainline to new freshly created maintain

the problem with this procedure is the log history is now gone in the
Maintain branch

anyone with a better idea ?

thanks
./allan

Re: automatically updating a branch

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 24, 2005, at 4:03 PM, allan juul wrote:

> the problem with this procedure is the log history is now gone in the
> Maintain branch
>
> anyone with a better idea ?

Yes, read about 'svn merge' in chapter 4.  That's exactly what it's for.

Re: automatically updating a branch

Posted by Kyle George <kg...@tcpsoft.com>.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, allan juul wrote:

> we have two branches called Mainline and Maintain

<snip>

> the easiest by far seems to be these steps
>
> 1) delete the entire Maintain branch
> 2) copy mainline to new freshly created maintain
>
> the problem with this procedure is the log history is now gone in the
> Maintain branch

Yeah, that's going to main maintaining those old releases hard.

Why not create a new tag for each release of Mainline?

See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html#svn-ch-4-sect-6

--
Kyle George
kgeorge@tcpsoft.com

RE: automatically updating a branch

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.
> From: allan juul [mailto:allan@muly.dk]
>
> everytime we built and deploy our Mainline branch to our production
> machines we will automatically need to update the Maintain branch to
> consist of an exact snapshot of that Mainline branch just deployed.

If you *never* make any changes to the Maintain branch other than to update
it to match the Mainline at a particular moment, then the easiest method is
to consider Maintain to be a resetable tag -- svn delete
http://.../Maintain; svn copy http://.../Mainline http://.../Maintain.  That
actually does maintain the log history because Subversion records that rev
40 of Maintain is a copy of rev 38 of Mainline, which is a changed version
of rev 36 of Mainline, etc.

But if you expect to make minor changes to the Maintain branch, then you
really should set up a "vendor branch" structure as described in the
Subversion book.  It looks like a lot of work, but anything simpler gets
confused by one or another normal maintenance activity.

Dale