Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/07/12 21:52:34 UTC

JK 1.2.14 core dump oddity

Something's not quite right in mod_jk-land.  The pertinent httpd.conf is;

ErrorDocument 404 /examplestomcat/error.jsp

Alias /examplestomcat "/local0/test/webapps/examplestomcat"

JkMount /examplestomcat/*.jsp ajp13

when the 404 causes error.jsp to be returned, the response code
is unset from 404 to 200-ok.  This behavior is not a regression,
seems it's been that way for a long (1.2.8 or earlier) time.

Line 1971 of jk/native/apache-2.0/mod_jk.c says...

    return OK;  /* NOT r->status, even if it has changed. */

This goes back to version 1.1 of the module; the question is; WHY?

Bill

Bill

Re: JK 1.2.14 core dump oddity

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Line 1971 of jk/native/apache-2.0/mod_jk.c says...
>
>     return OK;  /* NOT r->status, even if it has changed. */
> This goes back to version 1.1 of the module; the question is; WHY?

Well, mod_jk presumes that when Tomcat serves the page it is 200.
You can make a custom error pages in Tomcat directly without using
ErrorDocument 404 /xxx

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: JK 1.2.14 core dump oddity

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 03:04 PM 7/12/2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>It's not the return OK; my bad.  Something deeper is going on here,
>>some interaction with Apache 2, having to do with the request_rec
>>status not being bubbled back to the origin error.  But if anyone
>>has clues to point me at, I'd appreciate it.
>

> Ok, most httpd modules presume r->status is 200, and only set it
> in the case of exceptions.  This is why a cgi with no 'Status:'
> header will return the error code if it is configured as the
> errordocument, but if 'Status: 200' is passed with the headers,
> the 'error code' is lost.
>
> In mod_jk's case, we always set r->status.  So we could decide
> to do nothing for 200 OK, or leave as is.

In mod_jk r->status is set in ws_start_response(), that is called the first time
  ws_write is called or directly when Tomcat sends the headers.
Of course you get the error page defined in Tomcat not the one defined in
httpd.conf.

Re: JK 1.2.14 core dump oddity

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: JK 1.2.14 core dump oddity

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: JK 1.2.14 core dump oddity

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> Something's not quite right in mod_jk-land.  The pertinent httpd.conf is;
>
> ErrorDocument 404 /examplestomcat/error.jsp
>
> Alias /examplestomcat "/local0/test/webapps/examplestomcat"
>
> JkMount /examplestomcat/*.jsp ajp13
>
> when the 404 causes error.jsp to be returned, the response code
> is unset from 404 to 200-ok.  This behavior is not a regression,
> seems it's been that way for a long (1.2.8 or earlier) time.

It goes back at least to 1.1.x.

> Line 1971 of jk/native/apache-2.0/mod_jk.c says...
>
>     return OK;  /* NOT r->status, even if it has changed. */
>
> This goes back to version 1.1 of the module; the question is; WHY?

You're the httpd expert, not me ;-).

As I understand it, it is to have httpd return the Tomcat response code
(which won't be 404 unless error.jsp explictly sets it to that).

> Bill
>
> Bill

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.