Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/20 20:08:12 UTC

[VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.0.0.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 40 new  KIPs
and

several critical bug fixes. Please see the 2.0.0 release plan for more
details:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=80448820

A few notable highlights:

   - Prefixed wildcard ACLs (KIP-290), Fine grained ACLs for CreateTopics
   (KIP-277)
   - SASL/OAUTHBEARER implementation (KIP-255)
   - Improved quota communication and customization of quotas (KIP-219,
   KIP-257)
   - Efficient memory usage for down conversion (KIP-283)
   - Fix log divergence between leader and follower during fast leader
   failover (KIP-279)
   - Drop support for Java 7 and remove deprecated code including old scala
   clients
   - Connect REST extension plugin, support for externalizing secrets and
   improved error handling (KIP-285, KIP-297, KIP-298 etc.)
   - Scala API for Kafka Streams and other Streams API improvements
   (KIP-270, KIP-150, KIP-245, KIP-251 etc.)

Release notes for the 2.0.0 release:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday, June 25, 4pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* Javadoc:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.0 branch) is the 2.0.0 tag:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/2.0.0-rc0

* Documentation:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc0/
kafka_2.11-2.0.0-site-docs.tgz

(Since documentation cannot go live until 2.0.0 is released, please
download and verify)

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.0 branch:

Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.0-jdk8/48/

System tests: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/2.0/6/ (2
failures are known flaky tests)

Please test and verify the release artifacts and submit a vote for this RC
or report any issues so that we can fix them and roll out a new RC ASAP!

Although this release vote requires PMC votes to pass, testing, votes, and
bug
reports are valuable and appreciated from everyone.

Thanks,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding).

Built from source and ran integration tests successfully.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding).

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
I am rolling out another RC for 2.0 today since we had some critical fixes,
most notably https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7104 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7112.

Many thanks to everyone who tested and voted for RC0. Please help test RC1
which will be available later today.

Thank you,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Checked signatures
Ran test suite

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Thomas Crayford <tc...@salesforce.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Thomas Crayford <tc...@salesforce.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Any and all testing is welcome, but testing in the following areas would be
particularly helpful:

   1. Performance and stress testing. Heroku and LinkedIn have helped with this
   in the past (and issues have been found and fixed).
   2. Client developers can verify that their clients can produce/consume
    compressed/uncompressed data to/from 2.0.0 brokers
   3. End users can verify that their apps work correctly with the new
   release.

Thank you!

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC0