Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com> on 2003/08/20 21:10:46 UTC

[OT] Web Services, what have I done?

Hi All,

This post might seem odd but I am looking for some insight into a
solution that I have implemented. I am trying to get a better
understanding of how my implementation fits into the grand scheme of a
Web Service and how I might document this implementation. I have been
reading about WSDL and about SOAP and am still not sure what I have done
:-), and how my implementation is compatible or not compatible with what
the industry is calling a Web Service mainly for documentation purposes
even though I would love to build this functionality based on industry
standards.

I have built a web app using STRUTS of course that allows for external
remote systems to invoke RPC's (Remote Procedure Call) on an area of the
apps functionality. I allow remote systems to communicate using XML over
HTTP POST. Communication involves the invocation request and response. I
have created a invocation.dtd that defines the invocation data structure
and all the supported methods and arguments and the response.dtd that
defines the result data structure returned by any invocation.
As far as I can understand so far this is very similar to a SOAP
envelope.

The client of this implementation builds the invocation XML data
structure as defined by invocation.dtd, opens a connection to defined
URL and writes the XML invocation directly to the connections
OutputStream and reads the XML response directly from the connections
InputStream.

Having built this implementation and ducking the learning curve of Web
Services, SOAP implementation because I found it difficult to implement
with my shaky understanding of Web Services I am hoping that I might now
be able to get a better understanding of Web Services and how they
relate to what I have done in the hopes that I might get inline with the
industry and write great software and document what I have done :-).

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Greg Hess

Software Engineer

Wrapped Apps Corporation

275 Michael Cowpland Dr.

Suite 201

Ottawa, Ontario

K2M 2G2

Tel: (613) 591 -7552

Fax: (613) 591-0523

1 (877) 388-6742

 <http://www.wrappedapps.com/>

RE: [OT] Web Services, what have I done?

Posted by Andrew Shirk <sh...@ncsa.uiuc.edu>.
Yes, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI are THE standards for web services. The primary
motivation for web services is interoperability among disparate systems.
Without the using the standards, you won't get the interoperability. The
Java Web Services Developer Pack (JWSDP - http://java.sun.com/webservices/)
from Sun including JAX-RPC make it relatively painless to develop your web
service in a standardized way. You should probably also read the tutorial:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.2/tutorial/doc/index.html

Andrew

Posted by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com>.
Many thanks for your input,