Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/22 22:34:21 UTC

Foursquare Recommendation powered by Mahout!

http://engineering.foursquare.com/2011/03/22/building-a-recommendation-engine-foursquare-style/

Re: Foursquare Recommendation powered by Mahout!

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well thats the implementation detail of the system, there are various
> strategies, driven by various aspects of the product. Not generic like the
> algorithms in Mahout. I dont think its something Mahout should handle
> anyway.

Well, there are ways to do various kinds of cold start even in Mahout.

If cold start is really cold, as in complete ignorance, then a diversified
top-hits list is about all you can do.

Foursquare *always* has some information, however.  They have location.
 They have browser (which gives
phone type in many cases).  These can be used as inputs for recommendations
using pretty much our
standard framework.

Re: Foursquare Recommendation powered by Mahout!

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
*I think* there's some space to handle regression hierarchies and
generalize combining methods like here
http://www.ideal.ece.utexas.edu/seminar/LatentFactorModels.pdf  via
mere architectural enhancements to solve those problems but it's all
just an intuition. In particular, I understand this yahoo work as some
sort of a hybrid of factorization, regression on content data and
regression on side data, and conceivably one might generalize
framework enough to plug method that is doing factorization from those
doing regression. Somehow.  E.g. it probably doesn't matter if we want
to handle factorization work using ALS or incremental SVD. We could
build an overarching model that would take that as a parameter for an
algorithm class. Perhaps.

Or perhaps there's not enough space for generalizing this.

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.