Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu> on 2001/06/01 23:39:50 UTC

Re: Misusing dynamic binding when static binding would do.

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 11:31:17AM -0400, Dan Milstein wrote:
> <curmudgeon mode>
> This post is really not appropriate for this mailing list.  This list is for
> discussion of development of the Tomcat server.  You're writing about web
> application design issues / patterns.  See:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html.
>
> This list is periodically consumed by flame wars (or "vigorous debate")
> about application-level issues which really don't affect Tomcat development
> at all.  IIRC, one or two of those was started by your posting this sort of
> article for "comments".
>
> I don't think this list should be used for discussion of these issues.
>
> Everyone else: if you agree with me, please do not reply to Brad on the
> list.  If you have something to say to him, let's please take it off the
> list.  Brad: I don't think this is the appropriate forum for you to ask for
> review of your articles.
> </curmudgeon mode>
>
> -Dan
>
> Brad Cox wrote:
> >
> > I would appreciate comments on the following draft of an article I've
> > just added to the Web Application site. Go to
> > http://virtualschool.edu/wap and click "The Problem" in the left
> > column for the original.
>
> --
>
> Dan Milstein // danmil@shore.net

I think the post was not SO inappropriate. The article was only
a rational behind a feature request and offering to bundle a page
generation facility stuff to tomcat (if I interpret correctly):

"Although the WAP approach is not standards-focused, it compliments
the dynamic options of web app environments like Tomcat, JSP or
Velocity. I believe should be available there. The effort is
negligble and I'd be more than happy to do it.
I'd appreciate suggestions as to whether and particularly how to do
so. WAP requires no changes to the substrate; it is strictly a 70kb
addon to the servlet engine substrate."

You can say no, and vote out it. Or commend it into some contrib
stuff (as tomcat 3.3 will rule out every piece that is not strictly
the standard). Tomca tis something like a product that has "standard"
adn "advanced" features right now.                         incze