Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2003/04/04 14:29:00 UTC

Re: and

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> These tags don't belong in struts-html because they don't generate any
> HTML-speicifc output -- they are perfectly usable when you are generating
> WML, for example.  It's fine to consider a new library for
> HTML-independent output, but I'm -1 on dumping them into struts-html
> simply because they are Struts specific.

It's not simply because they are Struts specific. It's because they
relate to operations associated with HTML pages.

For example, I can create a redirect with a HTML page by doing this:

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=./Welcome.do">
</head>

Our redirect tag is the functional equivalent. There's not an equivalent
for the forward tag, but the forward tag should be kept with the
redirect tag.

Coincidentally, this also puts all the Struts specific tags in one
library, but that's just icing.

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,

Re: and

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Ted Husted wrote:

> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 07:29:00 -0500
> From: Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: <logic:forward> and <logic:redirect>
>
> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> > These tags don't belong in struts-html because they don't generate any
> > HTML-speicifc output -- they are perfectly usable when you are generating
> > WML, for example.  It's fine to consider a new library for
> > HTML-independent output, but I'm -1 on dumping them into struts-html
> > simply because they are Struts specific.
>
> It's not simply because they are Struts specific. It's because they
> relate to operations associated with HTML pages.

Don't they work in WML pages (or any other XML-based document format) too?
They are HTTP specific (or, more properly, redirect is HTTP specific and
forward is servlet-api-specific), not HTML specific.

As a thought experiment, where would you put a new tag to add an HTTP
header?  Or set a cookie?

Craig