Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paulo Silveira <pa...@paulo.com.br> on 2003/05/24 00:57:04 UTC

maven-new structure?

Today I ve discovered maven-new, and I am trying to fully understand it.
Sorry about some stupid questions, but since there is no dev mail
archives, I am guessing

If Jason/Ben/Michal can help me:

/CLI
 - ok, the class that makes a call to maven through the CLI. this way it
will be easier to make IDEs plugins
/commons
 - what will be here?
/server
 - maybe Ben can explaing me what is this. (btw, there are eclipse
template comments on the top of the classes :) )
 - It seems that we have a PlexusContainer running somewhere, then
anyone can ask for the Maven component, to attain some  goals and so on,
throug xmlrpc.
 - but why will someone want to run a webservice that attains some
goals? an IDE could run it and then make the calls, is it the idea?
/plugin
 - what is this? only the really needed plugins?

About plexus, is there any place that has a better doc (or any doc at
all :) )? What is the relationship between plexus and avalon?

At the end, how will the jars be related? I mean, maven-cli will calls
maven-core, which can call any plugin to attain some goals, since it has
the PluginManager. What about the server? Will we have a new .bat and
.sh?

Maven-new will completely replace maven in beta-11?

BTW, pretty nice idea to get an around for all the getters, this way you
dont need to modify every getter to see if his parent would return sth
different than null...

------------------------
Paulo Silveira
http://www.paulo.com.br/
http://www.guj.com.br/

Re: maven-new structure?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 18:57, Paulo Silveira wrote:
> Today I ve discovered maven-new, and I am trying to fully understand it.
> Sorry about some stupid questions, but since there is no dev mail
> archives, I am guessing
>
> If Jason/Ben/Michal can help me:

Most of this is Ben's first attempt at getting things working. I haven't
really looked at much of it but I'll try to give you an outline of what
things will probably look like.

> /CLI
>  - ok, the class that makes a call to maven through the CLI. this way it
> will be easier to make IDEs plugins

The CLI will simply consist of a class (or two) which contains some
argument parsing logic and an embedded plexus container that will be
run. I don't see xmlrpc being used here.

> /commons
>  - what will be here?

Just a base template that the other modules can inherit from.

> /server
>  - maybe Ben can explaing me what is this. (btw, there are eclipse
> template comments on the top of the classes :) )
>  - It seems that we have a PlexusContainer running somewhere, then
> anyone can ask for the Maven component, to attain some  goals and so on,
> throug xmlrpc.

I see this whole module disappearing and a plexus container runtime will
be generated which starts up an xmlrpc listener. Pete and I have
applications running under plexus which work in the same fashion. It
works well.

>  - but why will someone want to run a webservice that attains some
> goals? an IDE could run it and then make the calls, is it the idea?

For embedding in IDEs you definitely won't need to make xmlrpc calls.
Again a class with an embedded plexus container that can retrieve the
Maven component and the IDE will work directly with that.

> /plugin
>  - what is this? only the really needed plugins?

I will probably revamp this on the weekend at some point. But at the
moment we are focusing on separating out the artifact tool chain so we
can make it a separate project.

> About plexus, is there any place that has a better doc (or any doc at
> all :) )? What is the relationship between plexus and avalon?

Plexus in its first forms was a straight attempt at an Avalon container.
I soon realized that I need more in some cases and Plexus is now a tool
for making different kinds of containers. But Plexus supports the Avalon
container API which is what is used for all the components ATM.

> At the end, how will the jars be related? I mean, maven-cli will calls
> maven-core, which can call any plugin to attain some goals, since it has
> the PluginManager. What about the server? Will we have a new .bat and
> .sh?

Ultimately any of the harnesses for short-lived or long-lived processes
will interact with the Maven component. The CLI will be short-lived and
the server and IDE will be long-lived processes. I'm sure there will
some variations and people can always make additional harnesses. Some
may want to use the Maven component directly in IDEs or they may want
the IDE to use a shared Maven server. I'm not really going to try and
predict usage. I just want it to be easy to embed the use of Maven
anywhere and I hope to be able to do that this weekend with a small
embeddor class I'm working on in Plexus.

> Maven-new will completely replace maven in beta-11?

Currently we are working on separating out the artifact related tools.
So when that is done and everything is tested and backward compatible I
hope to strip out all the analagous classes in the older maven code and
replace it with the new stuff we're working on. The new stuff will all
be component based so it should be much easier to write and test
individual components if you need to replace something like making a new
type of downloader or repository layout component if you really wanted
to. It will also include the transitive dependency stuff, new downloader
code and basically a revamped artifact system with all the kudos going
to Michal.

> BTW, pretty nice idea to get an around for all the getters, this way you
> dont need to modify every getter to see if his parent would return sth
> different than null...

Yes, I like that idea. Gilles Dodinet actually fixed it up and made it
work like it should have in the first place :-)

> ------------------------
> Paulo Silveira
> http://www.paulo.com.br/
> http://www.guj.com.br/

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: maven-new structure?

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.
Probably worth taking a look at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Maven/MavenNG

Explains some of my strangeness.  Jason may have other plans, but I have
the documentation! Hazzar!

Essentially the process goes like this

launch the server (or don't)

launch the client
- if the server is specified connect to it
- otherwise, internally launch a server

- use xml-rpc to control the server

Now as to whether an ide interface would use xml-rpc to connect to an in
process server - not sure.  I doubt the overhead is very high and it
would mean there would never be any contention as to whether the ide was
starting the container properly or not.