Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2017/02/06 17:10:18 UTC

Re: Creative Commons again

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:50 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 January 2017 at 05:12, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> > DRAFT of notice to PMCs. Any concerns/improvements?
> >
> > ====
> >
> > To: <PMCs list>
> > Cc: legal-discuss@
> > Subject: Creative Commons Attribution + Share Alike clarification
> >
> > Hola Apache PMCs,
> >
> > Last year there was a discussion on how to handle Creative Commons
> > Attribution (CC-BY) licensing on the legal-discuss list[1]. This is a
> > license designed for 'media files', by which I mean things like pictures,
> > audio, and video. It is not (per Creative Commons themselves[2])
> recommended
> > to be used for software. At its heart it is a permissive license, but its
> > focus on non-software means it has conditions that go beyond the Apache
> > license (chiefly the term in 2.5 of 'You may not distribute, publicly
> > display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with
> any
> > technological measures that control access', and the similar text in the
> > later licenses).
> >
> > Given that, we want to make sure our users can easily switch out CC-BY
> > licensing if a concern, and so we have moved it to the same status as the
> > Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license. Namely:
>
> Does not read well:
> "...  switch out CC-BY licensing if a concern"
> does that mean:
> "...  switch out CC-BY licensed items if the license is a concern"

Will fix with:

"replace CC-BY licensed works when the CC license is a concern,"

> > "Unmodified media (for example images, audio or video) under the Creative
> > Commons Attribution (CC BY: 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) or the Creative Commons
> > Attribution ShareAlike (CC BY-SA 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) licenses may be
> included
> > in Apache products, subject to the licenses attribution clauses which may
> > require LICENSE/NOTICE/README changes. For any other type of CC BY or CC
> > BY-SA licensed work, please contact the Legal PMC."
>
> I take that to mean unmodified CC-BY may be bundled with ASF products.

No, only unmodified CC-BY media. The current FAQ item starts with
"Unmodified media"; I enlarged the FAQ to cover CC-BY as well as CC-BY-SA.

> > The upshot of this is that CC-BY software should not be included with
> Apache
> > projects, and that CC-BY media should not be modified.
>
> This contradicts that; I'm confused!

Does the above help? Anything in the FAQ that should be clarified?

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for taking so long to respond,

Hen

Re: Creative Commons again

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 February 2017 at 17:10, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:50 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 January 2017 at 05:12, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > DRAFT of notice to PMCs. Any concerns/improvements?
>> >
>> > ====
>> >
>> > To: <PMCs list>
>> > Cc: legal-discuss@
>> > Subject: Creative Commons Attribution + Share Alike clarification
>> >
>> > Hola Apache PMCs,
>> >
>> > Last year there was a discussion on how to handle Creative Commons
>> > Attribution (CC-BY) licensing on the legal-discuss list[1]. This is a
>> > license designed for 'media files', by which I mean things like
>> > pictures,
>> > audio, and video. It is not (per Creative Commons themselves[2])
>> > recommended
>> > to be used for software. At its heart it is a permissive license, but
>> > its
>> > focus on non-software means it has conditions that go beyond the Apache
>> > license (chiefly the term in 2.5 of 'You may not distribute, publicly
>> > display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with
>> > any
>> > technological measures that control access', and the similar text in the
>> > later licenses).
>> >
>> > Given that, we want to make sure our users can easily switch out CC-BY
>> > licensing if a concern, and so we have moved it to the same status as
>> > the
>> > Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license. Namely:
>>
>> Does not read well:
>> "...  switch out CC-BY licensing if a concern"
>> does that mean:
>> "...  switch out CC-BY licensed items if the license is a concern"
>

> Will fix with:
>
> "replace CC-BY licensed works when the CC license is a concern,"

OK

>> > "Unmodified media (for example images, audio or video) under the
>> > Creative
>> > Commons Attribution (CC BY: 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) or the Creative Commons
>> > Attribution ShareAlike (CC BY-SA 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) licenses may be
>> > included
>> > in Apache products, subject to the licenses attribution clauses which
>> > may
>> > require LICENSE/NOTICE/README changes. For any other type of CC BY or CC
>> > BY-SA licensed work, please contact the Legal PMC."
>>
>> I take that to mean unmodified CC-BY may be bundled with ASF products.
>

> No, only unmodified CC-BY media. The current FAQ item starts with
> "Unmodified media"; I enlarged the FAQ to cover CC-BY as well as CC-BY-SA.

OK, not sure why I read it otherwise initially.

>> > The upshot of this is that CC-BY software should not be included with
>> > Apache
>> > projects, and that CC-BY media should not be modified.
>>
>> This contradicts that; I'm confused!

Maybe expand that to:

The upshot of this is that CC-BY software should not be included with Apache
projects, and that CC-BY media may be included if not modified.