Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Harry Chen <hc...@csee.umbc.edu> on 2000/07/01 02:31:54 UTC

getServletContext() returns null

Hi. I got my servlets start running just fine. I can even do servlet
renaming. But for some reason, everytime i try to call getServletContext()
or getServletConfig() in either doGet() or doPost() method, it always
return NullPointerException.

Any idea?  thanks.

Here is a clip of my web.xml file.

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd"

<web-app>

    <context-param>
      <param-name>Manufacture</param-name>
      <param-value>My Company</param-value>

      <param-name>Version</param-name>
      <param-value>1.0</param-value>

    </context-param>

    <servlet>
      <servlet-name>StoreMgr</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>StoreManagerServlet</servlet-class>

      <init-param>
        <param-name>StoreName</param-name>
        <param-value>Banana Republic</param-value>
      </init-param>
   </servlet>

</web-app>

- Harry

---
Harry L. Chen
hchen4@cs.umbc.edu
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~hchen4
University Of Maryland Baltimore County

Public PGP Key is available upon request

Re: getServletContext() returns null

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Harry Chen wrote:

> Hi. I got my servlets start running just fine. I can even do servlet
> renaming. But for some reason, everytime i try to call getServletContext()
> or getServletConfig() in either doGet() or doPost() method, it always
> return NullPointerException.

99.9% of the time that means you overrode the init(ServletConfig config)
method without calling

    super.init(config)

in your init() method.  The best way to avoid this error is to use the init()
method without arguments for your own initialization.

> Any idea?  thanks.

Craig McClanahan