Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Deepti Sharma S via user <us...@cassandra.apache.org> on 2022/08/02 17:31:41 UTC

Cassandra Client compatibility

Hello Team,

Our product has a requirement to integrate with Wide Column Database CD
which internally uses Apache Cassandra 3.11.11.
(https://adp.ericsson.se/marketplace/wide-column-database-cd)

we are using C++ and Java based drivers to connect with the Cassandra.

For C++ Cassandra driver 2.6 following is mentioned at
https://docs.datastax.com/en/developer/cpp-driver/2.6/

I like to know what is the  meaning of 3.0+, whether existing Cassandra
driver 2.6 supports Cassandra 3.11.11 or not. If existing 2.6 driver does
not support Cassandra 3.11.11 then whether latest driver 2.16 supports it or
not (its not clear from 3.0+ statement)

Similarly whether existing DataStax Cassandra Java driver supports Cassandra
3.11.11. If not then what is the recommended version. From following pic it
seems it supports, please confirm from your side

Source: https://docs.datastax.com/en/driver-matrix/doc/java-drivers.html

Below are the details:

Compatibility

This release is compatible with Apache Cassandra 1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0.

A complete compatibility matrix for both Apache Cassandra and DataStax
Enterprise can be found here
<https://docs.datastax.com/en/developer/driver-matrix/doc/common/driverMatri
x.html?scroll=driverMatrix__cpp-driver-matrix>

For C++ Cassandra driver 2.16 following is mentioned at
https://docs.datastax.com/en/developer/cpp-driver/2.16/

Compatibility

This driver works exclusively with the Cassandra Query Language v3 (CQL3)
and Cassandra's native protocol. The current version works with:

*	Apache CassandraR versions 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0+
*	Architectures: 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64)
*	Compilers: GCC 4.1.2+, Clang 3.4+, and MSVC
2010/2012/2013/2015/2017/2019

A complete compatibility matrix for both Apache CassandraR and DataStax
Enterprise can be found here
<https://docs.datastax.com/en/developer/driver-matrix/doc/cppDrivers.html#cp
p-drivers> .

I found another link
https://docs.datastax.com/en/driver-matrix/doc/cpp-drivers.html, which shows
following pic

I like to know what is the  meaning of 3.0+, whether existing Cassandra
driver 2.6 supports Cassandra 3.11.11 or not. If existing 2.6 driver does
not support Cassandra 3.11.11 then whether latest driver 2.16 supports it or
not (its not clear from 3.0+ statement)

Similarly whether existing DataStax Cassandra Java driver supports Cassandra
3.11.11. If not then what is the recommended version. From following pic it
seems it supports, please confirm from your side

Source: https://docs.datastax.com/en/driver-matrix/doc/java-drivers.html

Regards,

Deepti Sharma
PMPR & ITIL

Re: Cassandra Client compatibility

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@apache.org>.
In the context of driver compatibility, Cassandra "3.0+" means C* 3.0 and
newer releases which include C* 3.0.x, 3.11.x, 4.0.x and [soon] 4.1.x.

To answer your question directly, version 2.6 of the C++ driver works with
C* 3.11.11 but we don't recommend you use it since it's an ancient release
that's over 5 years old. If you run into issues, the first response you'll
get is to upgrade. Instead, we recommend using the latest release of the
drivers if you're about to start a new project. Cheers!