Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/12/06 15:13:53 UTC

[VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

The Jelly code base has been stable for some time and it'd be good to get a
stable release of Jelly out so other projects like Maven, Cactus and Latka
can depend on a stable, supported release. So I'd like to propose that Jelly
be moved to the commons proper where we can start work on getting things in
place for an official release.

I'm +1

----- Cut Here -----
I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
[ ] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
[ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
[ ] -0 - I don't support this move
[ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
         reasoning)
----- Cut Here -----

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
+1

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:13, James Strachan wrote:
> The Jelly code base has been stable for some time and it'd be good to get a
> stable release of Jelly out so other projects like Maven, Cactus and Latka
> can depend on a stable, supported release. So I'd like to propose that Jelly
> be moved to the commons proper where we can start work on getting things in
> place for an official release.
>
> I'm +1
>
> ----- Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
> [x] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
> [ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this move
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
>          reasoning)
> ----- Cut Here -----
>
> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.
+0

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Tomasz Pik" <pi...@ais.pl>
> James Strachan wrote:
> > The Jelly code base has been stable for some time and it'd be good to
get a
> > stable release of Jelly out so other projects like Maven, Cactus and
Latka
> > can depend on a stable, supported release. So I'd like to propose that
Jelly
> > be moved to the commons proper where we can start work on getting things
in
> > place for an official release.
>
> I'm not a commiter, just asking:
> Will the release contain all tag libraries?
> I think that it would be better to release Jelly with some tag libraries
> but maybe not with all of them. And release some tag libraries in the
> independent way. This 'big' library may be hard to maintain then 'core'
> distribution and set of tag libraries. (Remember problems with logging
> Log4J support and NPEs?)

Agreed. I think a small core of Jelly with few dependencies, then other
libraries available seperately would be a great idea. Its a common complaint
that 'Jelly has lots of dependencies' when really the core is pretty small
and has few non-commons dependencies, its just that different libraries have
dependencies on other libraries.

We could still create a 'one big jar' if need be (like commons-core, or
ant-optional etc) or could leave each add-on library as a seperate jar for
those wishing a more fine grained control. What I'd really like is a
Maven-plugin style model where new libraries and their dependencies could be
loaded on demand (if need be) from a small core in a JJAR / Maven / forehead
/ classworlds kinda way.

One of the main aims of proposing Jelly to the commons proper is so that the
community can decide the best release form of Jelly. I'd appreciate any
feedback on these ideas

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

was: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by Tomasz Pik <pi...@ais.pl>.
James Strachan wrote:
> The Jelly code base has been stable for some time and it'd be good to get a
> stable release of Jelly out so other projects like Maven, Cactus and Latka
> can depend on a stable, supported release. So I'd like to propose that Jelly
> be moved to the commons proper where we can start work on getting things in
> place for an official release.

I'm not a commiter, just asking:
Will the release contain all tag libraries?
I think that it would be better to release Jelly with some tag libraries
but maybe not with all of them. And release some tag libraries in the
independent way. This 'big' library may be hard to maintain then 'core'
distribution and set of tag libraries. (Remember problems with logging
Log4J support and NPEs?)

I think the same applied to Morper component, BTW.

Regards
Tomek Pik

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
James Strachan wrote:

> ----- Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
> [X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
> [ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this move
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
>          reasoning)
> ----- Cut Here -----

Costin

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
> ----- Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
> [X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
> [ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this move
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
>          reasoning)
> ----- Cut Here -----

I agree with some of the concerns raised by others on this thread and feel
they should be addressed before a formal 1.0 release, but I'm +1 on moving
jelly to commons proper.

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-355-2219(w)
Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 02:13 PM, James Strachan wrote:

> ----- Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
> [X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
> [ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this move
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
>          reasoning)
> ----- Cut Here -----

- robert

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
> On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, James Strachan wrote:
>
> > ----- Cut Here -----
> > I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
> > [X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
>
> I will add this to the set of commons packages I build nightly, and to the
> "commons-combo" package (that builds a combined JAR/Javadocs for all the
> released jakarta-commons libraries).
>
> Although, I'm beginning to wonder if subproject/project status might be
> better.  Jelly core looks like it's becoming a framework with lots of
> optional packages (and their associated dependencies) on top of it, very
> reminiscent of Ant ...

Agreed.

I think we need a small Jelly core, with few dependencies and then seperate
optional packages. We can always make a "jelly-combo" JAR like
"commons-combo" with all the different packages combined into a single jar
for those that want it.

James
-------

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, James Strachan wrote:

> ----- Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
> [X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help

I will add this to the set of commons packages I build nightly, and to the
"commons-combo" package (that builds a combined JAR/Javadocs for all the
released jakarta-commons libraries).

Although, I'm beginning to wonder if subproject/project status might be
better.  Jelly core looks like it's becoming a framework with lots of
optional packages (and their associated dependencies) on top of it, very
reminiscent of Ant ...

In the mean time, a real release from Commons is appropriate.

> [ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this move
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
>          reasoning)
> ----- Cut Here -----
>
> James

Craig

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons Proper:
[X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
[ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
[ ] -0 - I don't support this move
[ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid *technical*
         reasoning)

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

> ----- Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on moving Jelly to the Commons
> Proper:
> [X] +1 - I support this move and am willing to help
> [ ] +0 - I support this move, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this move
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this move (requires valid
> *technical*
>          reasoning)
> ----- Cut Here -----

=====