Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by robingandhi21 <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/12 15:34:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Is Apache2.2 FIPS compliant?

Please let me know if anybody have any idea of Apache2.2 being FIPS
compliant?

Thanks in advance
Robin Gandhi

Re: [users@httpd] Is Apache2.2 FIPS compliant?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Jan 12, 2008 10:08 AM, Jeff McAdams <je...@iglou.com> wrote:
> Victor Trac wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 2008 3:34 PM, robingandhi21 <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Please let me know if anybody have any idea of Apache2.2 being FIPS
> >> compliant?
>
> > FIPS deals with encryption standards, not http service.  Certain
> > versions of OpenSSL are FIPS compliant, so as long as you use a
> > certified version of OpenSSL in Apache, I suppose you are compliant.
>
> That's not completely true.
>
> There is some requirement that the apps that use the cryptographic
> modules use them in "the right way".  So its not just a matter of
> slapping a certified OpenSSL in there.  Alas, I don't know specifics of
> what "the right way" consists of...the office of our security-focused
> guy that really knows this stuff shares a wall with mine, but its not
> me, so I'm not up on all the specifics.

There were people working on a certified Apache httpd + OpenSSL. I'm
not sure what the result was, but searching the archives of the
dev@httpd.apache.org list for FIPS will surely turn up something
useful.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Is Apache2.2 FIPS compliant?

Posted by Jeff McAdams <je...@iglou.com>.

--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Re: [users@httpd] Is Apache2.2 FIPS compliant?

Posted by Victor Trac <vi...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 12, 2008 3:34 PM, robingandhi21 <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please let me know if anybody have any idea of Apache2.2 being FIPS
> compliant?

FIPS deals with encryption standards, not http service.  Certain
versions of OpenSSL are FIPS compliant, so as long as you use a
certified version of OpenSSL in Apache, I suppose you are compliant.

--Victor

--
http://www.victortrac.com

Re: [users@httpd] Is Apache2.2 FIPS compliant?

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
Robin,

On Jan 12, 2008, at 6:34 AM, robingandhi21 wrote:

> Please let me know if anybody have any idea of Apache2.2 being FIPS
> compliant?

By itself, no.  Apache does not do anything special for key management
or access control to key material.  However, Apache can use a FIPS 140
certified Hardware Security Module like nCipher's nShield card and use
keys protected by its Security World.  This will make you FIPS 140-2
Level 2 or 3 compliant.

Note: I work for nCipher.  Let me know if you'd like more information
about using hardware-protected keys.

Sander

--
Sander Temme