Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Luis dos Santos <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/01 14:32:29 UTC

commiting to two repositories

Hello,

I have a subversion repository on a local machine that I use for
development. I also want to commit to another repository on a remote
machine.
 From what I know one working copy is attached only to one repository.
How can I do this? I do not need to do every commit I make on the
local copy to the remote repository. I only commit to that one from
time to time (when some feature is implemented)

I thought about a manual process and that would take :
- exporting a given version from my local repo
- doing an rsync update from the export to the remote repo working copy
- commiting the rsynced version

but that can be troublesome, mainly because of files and directories
that are added, deleted or moved. I would have to make a shell script
for checking those items and issuing the subversion commands. I would
have to rsync to a temporary location and the script would compare the
current remote version with the latest local version and add
directories, remove, etc

Is there an easier way ?

Re: commiting to two repositories

Posted by Daniel Luis dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Browsing through the book on the site, from what I understood this
places a local version repository between the subversion repo I
already have, and allows me to use that one instead. When I want to
propagate the local repository changes I then push the local depot
that is supposed to be mirrored to the existant  subversion
repository. Am I right ?

To achieve the goal I mentioned in the previous email I could :
- create a local depot
- mirror it to the local subversion
- continue commiting to the local subversion
- update the local depot
- Then how do I push the versions on the depot to the remote repo ?
relocate the mirror URL ?

Posted by Jim Hanley <jh...@DGtlRift.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Daniel Luis dos Santos wrote:
> I want to continue using the repository I have locally. I just want to
> send periodic versions to the remote repository that is available on
> the internet.
>  From time to time I would commit a new revision to the remote which
> would be the latest version on the local

Subversion simply isn't intended to work that way.  You can get the same
effect by making a branch in the real repository unless your intent is
to avoid cluttering it with small revisions.

Some of the systems that are designed for independent distributed copies
(git, mercurial, etc.) may have tools to publish back to a subversion
repository.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: commiting to two repositories

Posted by Daniel Luis dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
I want to continue using the repository I have locally. I just want to
send periodic versions to the remote repository that is available on
the internet.
 From time to time I would commit a new revision to the remote which

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:32, Daniel Luis dos Santos
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a subversion repository on a local machine that I use for
> development. I also want to commit to another repository on a remote
> machine.
>  From what I know one working copy is attached only to one repository.
> How can I do this? I do not need to do every commit I make on the
> local copy to the remote repository. I only commit to that one from
> time to time (when some feature is implemented)

I think you've just described SVK.