Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Arjen P. de Vries" <Ar...@cwi.nl> on 2004/09/13 16:54:54 UTC

configure --prefix requires DESTDIR

Hi,

Installing subversion locally using
  ./configure --prefix=/some/path/where/I/can/write
requires also giving the DESTDIR option when issuing
  make install

The problem is the makefile in
  subversion/mod_dav_svn
that does not use the prefix setting.

Note this related post:
  http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgId=278611

Cheers,

Arjen

PS: when giving DESTDIR=the/prefix, things work fine

Re: configure --prefix requires DESTDIR

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.
For what it's worth, I _always_ pass ``--prefix=something'' when I
build Subversion, and have built it probably 100 times in the last few
years, and have _never_ had to pass DESTDIR to make.
--
I shrivel inside each time [Star Wars] is mentioned.
        -- Sir Alec Guinness

Re: configure --prefix requires DESTDIR

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:54, Arjen P. de Vries wrote:
> Installing subversion locally using
>   ./configure --prefix=/some/path/where/I/can/write
> requires also giving the DESTDIR option when issuing
>   make install

Not in my experience.

> The problem is the makefile in
>   subversion/mod_dav_svn
> that does not use the prefix setting.

There is no makefile in subversion/mod_dav_svn.  We use a single
top-level makefile.

> Note this related post:
>   http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgId=278611

I'm not seeing the relevance.

Re: configure --prefix requires DESTDIR

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
[Please keep replies on-list if the content is of general interest.]

"Arjen P. de Vries" <Ar...@cwi.nl> writes:

> | "Arjen P. de Vries" <Ar...@cwi.nl> writes:
> |
> | > Installing subversion locally using
> | >   ./configure --prefix=/some/path/where/I/can/write
> | > requires also giving the DESTDIR option when issuing
> | >   make install
> | >
> | > The problem is the makefile in
> | >   subversion/mod_dav_svn
> |
> | There is no makefile in subversion/mod_dav_svn.
> |
> | > that does not use the prefix setting.
> |
> | Apache modules get installed by Apache's apxs script and I assume you
> | have Subversion configured to use an apxs that installs outside
> | prefix.
> |
> | If you install Apache inside prefix and then configure Subversion to
> | use the apxs script associated with that installation then the modules
> | will get installed in prefix.  Alternatively, configure Subversion not
> | to build the Apache modules.
>
> thanks, that explains!
>
> can the mod_dav_svn be installed without the apache modules?

I don't understand the question, mod_dav_svn *is* an Apache module.

--
Philip Martin

Re: configure --prefix requires DESTDIR

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.