Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by sh...@licor.com on 2003/07/07 17:12:15 UTC

SAXParser does not implement XMLReader

I've had a difficult time getting Cocoon to work in spite of the careful
instructions on the Cocoon site <
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/installing/index.html >

The step-by-step instructions didn't quite fit my scenario. For posterity,
and so I feel a little better about the loss of time getting it to run, I
submit here the steps I followed to get Cocoon to work:

The components involved were:

Cocoon 2.0.4
Tomcat 4.0.4
JDK 1.3.1_04
RedHat Linux kernel version 2.4.7-10

After downloading the binary release (I did not build from source), adding
the cocoon.war file and restarting Tomcat, I got the following error:

Cocoon 2 - Internal server error

SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser does not implement
XMLReader

java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.xerces.parsers.StandardParserConfiguration
at org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader(Unknown Source)
etc. etc.

I followed these steps to get Cocoon (and Tomcat) to use the necessary
parsers:

1) Stopped Tomcat

2) removed 2 jar files from /var/tomcat4/common/lib/:
xalan.jar
xercesImpl.jar

3) copied 4 jar files from /var/tomcat4/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib to
/var/tomcat4/common/lib:
batik-all-1.5b2.jar
xalan-2.3.1.jar
xercesImpl-2.0.0.jar
xml-apis.jar

NOTE: these files were available because Tomcat had previously exploded
the cocoon.war file for me.

4) Added the following line to the startup script at /usr/bin/dtomcat:

CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/xercesImpl-2.0.0.jar:"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/xalan-2.3.1.jar:"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/xml-apis.jar:"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/batik-all-1.5b2.jar

5) Restarted Tomcat

Re: SAXParser does not implement XMLReader

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

sharrison@licor.com wrote:

> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/installing/index.html

> Cocoon 2.0.4
> Tomcat 4.0.4
> JDK 1.3.1_04
> RedHat Linux kernel version 2.4.7-10

> Cocoon 2 - Internal server error
>
> SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser does not implement
> XMLReader
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.StandardParserConfiguration
> at org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader(Unknown Source)
> etc. etc.

> 2) removed 2 jar files from /var/tomcat4/common/lib/:
> xalan.jar
> xercesImpl.jar

ok

> 3) copied 4 jar files from /var/tomcat4/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib to
> /var/tomcat4/common/lib:
> batik-all-1.5b2.jar
> xalan-2.3.1.jar
> xercesImpl-2.0.0.jar
> xml-apis.jar

wrong directory, copy them to /var/tomcat4/common/endorsed/
(but only the three x*.jar, batik*.jar is not needed!)

> NOTE: these files were available because Tomcat had previously exploded
> the cocoon.war file for me.
>
> 4) Added the following line to the startup script at /usr/bin/dtomcat:
>
> CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/xercesImpl-2.0.0.jar:"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/xalan-2.3.1.jar:"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/xml-apis.jar:"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/batik-all-1.5b2.jar

not necessary, revert the change.

Joerg