Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com> on 2009/03/18 01:44:02 UTC

svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

I recently upgraded from Debian Etch to Lenny, and something changed in
my subversion setup locally. I'm using apache2/ssl/svn (1.5.1)

Antwort: Re: svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

Posted by j....@interabo.de.
PDF-Produktion 10:49 Uhr

Lager Zugang von 1.250 Rucksäcken um 13:45Uhr gebucht.

Die Säcke waren also zum Versandzeitpunkt nicht da.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
i.A. Jörg Rathjens

Programmentwicklung

interabo                                        Tel. +49-(0)40/23670-376
Betreuungs-GmbH                                 Fax  +49-(0)40/23670-108
Wendenstr. 25, 20097 Hamburg                      j.rathjens@interabo.de
Geschäftsführer: Peter Drawert, Uwe Henning, Jürgen Rosenboom
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 35763

Posted by JeremyP <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Posted by Ul...@elektrobit.com.
Pat Farrell wrote:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> Are you able to access https://localhost/ with a web browser?
>
> Not with a real browser, its headless.
>
>> wget --no-check-certificate https://www.pfarrell.com/
>
> Interesting. That works if I comment out the /etc/hosts
> assignment of www.pfarrell.com to localhost.
>
> It fails if I leave it commented in.
> Same external command, different resolution of name:
> wget --no-check-certificate https://www.pfarrell.com/
> --2009-03-18 00:29:37--  https://www.pfarrell.com/ Resolving
> www.pfarrell.com... 127.0.1.1 Connecting to
> www.pfarrell.com|127.0.1.1|:443... failed: Connection refused.

Can you check your Apache config on which addresses it listens on port 443?

You should have a line in your /etc/hosts that points to the "real" IP of your server, not the 127.0.1.1 - comment out the 127.0.1.1, then add the "www www.pfarrell.com" to the end of the line with the real IP.

Now try again. :-)

> I did that because the self signed cert was causing assorted
> whining when I did a "sudo" command.
>
> $ su
> sudo: unable to resolve host www

No idea why it does that.

> This all used to work fine with Debian Etch

I guess now it's time to post your Apache config... :-)

Best regards

Ullrich Jans

--
Ullrich Jans, Application Support, IM
Phone: +49 9131 7701-6627, mailto:ullrich.jans@elektrobit.com

Elektrobit Automotive GmbH, Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Managing Directors: Otto Fößel, Jarkko Sairanen
Register Court Fürth HRB 4886

Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential information
intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please do not disclose it to anyone, notify
the sender promptly, and delete the message from your system.
Thank you.

Re: svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/18 Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> What is the output of "svn --version"?
>
> svn, version 1.5.1 (r32289)
>   compiled Dec 31 2008, 06:38:09
>
> Copyright (C) 2000-2008 CollabNet.
> Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
> This product includes software developed by CollabNet
> (http://www.Collab.Net/).
>
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using
> Neon.
>  - handles 'http' scheme
>  - handles 'https' scheme
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
>  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
>  - handles 'svn' scheme
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>  - handles 'file' scheme
> * ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using
> serf.
>  - handles 'http' scheme
>  - handles 'https' scheme
>
>> If those are not mentioned, it means that svn client was compiled
>> without https support.
>
> The svn client was installed from the Debian Lenny repositories.
> No local compiling.
>

>> Does https://localhost/ work for you?
>
> No, same result

Are you able to access https://localhost/ with a web browser?
E.g.
wget --no-check-certificate https://www.pfarrell.com/

It should not be firewall/iptables, because usually localhost
connections are allowed.

Also, note that subversion should ask you, whether you trust the
server certificate (and store a record of your acceptance as a file
in ~/.subversion/svn.ssl.server/ ). I do not know, but may be
something prevents it?

Can it be unability to encrypt it? E.g., the same as storing
clear-text passwords on some systems. I have never faced
such one, though.

Surely, you are not using --non-interactive.

Does that ~/.subversion/svn.ssl.server/directory exist already? Deleting it
should cause re-asking for the certificate.
Are access rights on  ~/.subversion/ reasonable?

Is this svn client able to connect to external svn repositories, over
http or https ?

I am sorry, but I probably won't be able to help further. It is
going into specifics I am not familiar with.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.

http://www.pfarrell.com/

Re: svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/18 Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> If your server is behind a NAT router/firewall, it may be not visible from
>> internal network under its public IP address.
>
> This is on the same host, there is no firewall/nat between itself and itself
>
> pfarrell@www:~/sandbox/quad$ ping localhost
> PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.071 ms
> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.069 ms
>
> pfarrell@www:~/sandbox/quad$ ping www.pfarrell.com
> PING www.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from quad.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.081 ms
> 64 bytes from quad.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.078 ms
> 64 bytes from quad.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.058 ms

OK.

What is the output of "svn --version"?
Is ra_neon or ra_serf mentioned there, and is
"handles 'https' scheme" phrase mentioned for either one of them?

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.
JeremyP wrote:
> I think your problem is that the Apache server is not listening to
> 127.0.0.1 on port 443.  Since you have already stated that removing the
> /etc/hosts entry for www.pfarrell.com makes it start working, I don't
> understand why you don't leave it removed.

I put it in only to make sudo not complain about not being able to
resolve the host name. Which broke apache/ssl

I want both to work.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Re: svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

Posted by JeremyP <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.

Posted by Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com>.
Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com> writes:

> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> If your server is behind a NAT router/firewall, it may be not visible from
>> internal network under its public IP address.
>
> This is on the same host, there is no firewall/nat between itself and itself
>
> pfarrell@www:~/sandbox/quad$ ping localhost
> PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.071 ms
> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.069 ms
>
> pfarrell@www:~/sandbox/quad$ ping www.pfarrell.com
> PING www.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from quad.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.081 ms
> 64 bytes from quad.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.078 ms
> 64 bytes from quad.pfarrell.com (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.058 ms

127.0.1.1 is a bogus address.  I get 70.184.242.241 from DNS.  I would
fix your local dns and/or /etc/hosts so that ping works with the correct
address.

It could be that apache/whatever is only listening on the real address
and 127.0.0.1, but not the (quite bizarre) 127.0.1.1.

Re: svn over HTTPS works everywhere but on the server host itself

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/18 Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>:
> I recently upgraded from Debian Etch to Lenny, and something changed in
> my subversion setup locally. I'm using apache2/ssl/svn (1.5.1)
>
> From my other computers, the client works fine. But on the
> apache/subversion server itself, if I try to use the standard Linux svn
> client, it fails:
>
> svn update
>
> svn: OPTIONS of 'https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/quad': could not connect
> to server (https://www.pfarrell.com)
>
> I don't see any attempt to connect in the apache or syslog.
>
> (...)

If your server is behind a NAT router/firewall, it may be not visible from
internal network under its public IP address.

That is, check whether
"ping www.pfarrell.com"
works for you. I guess that it does not.

https://localhost/  should work.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko