Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/03 22:39:46 UTC

Notes from meeting with Peter Shafton from Twilio

Hi, all.

As a part of our "reconnect with users" movement, I'd like to let you
know what Peter Shafton from Twilio is interested in their internal
pilot of jclouds. Here are notes I collected today at lunch. Keep an
eye out for Peter and say hi!

-A

Most interested in AWS and OpenStack clouds at the moment.

BlobStore - not yet; use S3 heavily, and outside AWS this becomes less critical
Location - helpful for placement; existing metadata is fine
Chef - potential future use case.
ComputeService - Highest priority; prefer abstractions where possible for below
  - Uniform OS based on CentOS 6
  - VPC support - Public/Private IPs, ENI, (currently in transition
between classic and VPC)
  - ELB -> AutoScaling groups - Asgard'ish target architecture (atomic
moves as opposed to messing w/haproxy memberships); need http
healthcheck support
  - Firewall rules - Highest priority on TCP, UDP ingress. egress ICMP desired

System concerns:
  * health and responsiveness when managing over 100 vms.
  * Better documentation as stack traces are not always easy to read.
  * http layer debugging works well.
  * dependencies are fine, mix of Java 6 and 7
  * control latency of list responses that cross network boundaries
(ex. paginated or cross region requests), as that affects their
ability to synchronize state.

Collaboration:
  * Newsgroups are nice, but happy to find people on IRC.
  * Like to attend meetups to learn what's new and discuss common
concerns with other users.
  * Interested in code contribution.
  * Happy to host jclouds meetups at Twilio.

Re: Notes from meeting with Peter Shafton from Twilio

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
This should hopefully help prioritize change and clarify who's
interested. For example, if working on a pagination or multi-location
model, you might ping Peter. Or, if you notice that our ec2 impl is
missing things that Twilio needs, you know who to contact for Q/A!

-A