Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/02/14 19:12:41 UTC

upcoming 10.2 release

Dear Derby user community,

Yesterday, the Derby developers started a discussion about the timing
and contents of the next (10.2) release. A feature freeze date of April
7 was suggested although we have not settled on this date yet. I would
estimate that the actual release would appear around two months after
feature freeze.

Please let us know about any bugs which are particularly important to
you and which you would like to see fixed in this release.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: upcoming 10.2 release

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:

> I worked with database as large as 700Mb without problems. The unique
> problem I really find in Derby is lack of some very basic features,
> like renaming columns (even if part of primary/foreign keys), and
> unblocking online backup, both enhancements, not bugs, and both, IMHO,
> are prohibitive for early adoption for large projects/production servers.

Thanks Edson for the important feature feedback.  Please make sure you
put in votes in Jira for the features you want as well. so hopefully we
will catch those next time around.  Online backup is planned for 10.2 I
think.  Here is a list of some of the major development activities
underway.  I can't say which ones will actually make it.
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDevActivities

Kathey

Re: upcoming 10.2 release

Posted by Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <ed...@mgrinformatica.com.br>.
Thank you for clarifications...

I'll be a "better" reader in future mails... Anyway, I think I never got
in trouble with Derby in my apps (that are, in majority, multi-database
compatible), and so I try to keed SQL as simple as possible, except some
(two or three) months ago where I got a non starting database where I
could not hack to discover where the problem is, neither I got responses
to my mails on this list, what disappointed a lot :-(. So, I was forced
to got to comercial databases...

I worked with database as large as 700Mb without problems. The unique
problem I really find in Derby is lack of some very basic features, like
renaming columns (even if part of primary/foreign keys), and unblocking
online backup, both enhancements, not bugs, and both, IMHO, are
prohibitive for early adoption for large projects/production servers.

Thank you,

Richter

Re: upcoming 10.2 release

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: upcoming 10.2 release

Re: upcoming 10.2 release

Posted by Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <ed...@mgrinformatica.com.br>.
I made a little research on JIRA, and my "Oscar" goes to:

DERBY-342: At least basic (like operator) comparision between long
varchar (and clob). IMHO, related to DERBY-472 (see bellow).

DERBY-396, DERBY-119: Alter table DROP/RENAME/MODIFY column, suporting
rename of column even if part of referencial integrity; drop column with
release of space; modify column from NULL to NOT NULL - if NOT NULL
specified and table has records, then a DEFAULT is mandatory. Besides
it's not too usefull in production database, it's a fundamental feature
for development and upgrading times.

DERBY-239: Non-blocking online backup. A must have for production
databases 24 x 7 x 365.

DERBY-84: allow using column aliases in ORDER BY and HAVING because the
column alias could be a complex expression (in reality, I think its a
new variant from DERBY-84). Unique database I know allow this is MSSQL
since 2000 version (in ORDER BY - not in Having). Allow simplify queries.

DERBY-533, DERBY-554: Is a basic must-have for latin american
developers/users for adoption.

DERBY-472: Full-text indexing could allow very fast search. IMHO, it's
DERBY-342 related (if we could make full text searchs over long
varchar/clob would be amazing!).

At finally, more usage examples (lots of them) for each DDL/DML sql
command. Sorry by comparision, but I find to much easier to read MS SQL
Books Online than Oracle manuals (I know, don't compare oranges with
apples, but I'm looking at developer vision - and more examples = more
valuable reading in majority of cases).

(if some of above is already fixed, sorry: I could not find this
information - version where fixed - in bug pages)

Best regards,

Edson Richter