Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/22 12:22:24 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Branch for SNAPSHOT dependencies and extra versions in JIRA

L.S.,

While preparing the 5.0.3 and 5.1.1 releases, I noticed there are two
things we could improve to make things a bit easier at release time.

My first proposal would be to avoid SNAPSHOT dependencies on the
maintenance branches (currently, 5.0.x and 5.1.x). Since we're using
git now, we can easily do that kind of work in a topic branch and then
merge those changes as soon as the dependency gets released. That way,
we can at any time upgrade other dependencies and cut a new
maintenance release with whatever dependency version are available at
that time.

The second proposal would be to introduce dummy versions for those
maintenance branches in JIRA, e.g. have a 5.0.x and 5.1.x version
there. This morning, in order to create the release notes, I ended up
changing versions on a number of issues, just bumping it to
5.0.4/5.1.2 because we were waiting on feedback, a release of an
another project, ...

Perhaps we could assign the dummy 5.0.x/5.1.x versions for planning
what we want to get fixed in some upcoming maintenance release and
only put in a real version once we actually have the fix in the branch
or have a dependency version available that fixes the issue.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen

Re: [PROPOSAL] Branch for SNAPSHOT dependencies and extra versions in JIRA

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB et al.,

No worries, the releases are out so we can now start working towards a
5.0.4 and 5.1.2 that are based on Karaf 2.3.6.  It looks like Jamie is
already making progress on that at the Karaf end.
In the meanwhile, I created those new versions and moved issues that
are not yet bound to be fixed by the Karaf upgrade to the new
5.0.x/5.1.x versions.

Regards,

Gert

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 for both.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Branch for SNAPSHOT dependencies and extra versions in JIRA

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for both proposals. I think, we have not to much cases when we use
snapshot dependencies, so we will not need to maintain additional
branches too often. The dummy version is a good idea too. It's confusing
to change to version to next bugfix version when the issue is postponed.
The same wee need for 6.0.x

Best regards
Krzysztof

--