Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org> on 2020/12/11 05:42:45 UTC

James requires administrative rights on RabbitMQ (!!!)

Hello James DEVs !!!

I want to start a discussion around
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-3475

Our issue is that James so far require administrative rights on RabbitMQ
server.

This of course means that sharing this RabbitMQ with other apps / James
servers of other tenant represent a data isolation / security issue,
that we leverage by giving James his own dedicated RabbitMQ server,
which don't help mutualizing costs.

Thus, I would like to leverage Cassandra to keep track of created queues.

This is a task that could be quickly tackled by Quan our intern, who
wants to learn about NoSQL. This could be a very good sandbox issue for him.

Feedback?

Benoit

Re: James requires administrative rights on RabbitMQ (!!!)

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Le 11/12/2020 à 14:53, Matthieu Baechler a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2020-12-11 at 12:42 +0700, Tellier Benoit wrote:
>> Hello James DEVs !!!
>>
>> I want to start a discussion around
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-3475
>>
>> Our issue is that James so far require administrative rights on
>> RabbitMQ
>> server.
>>
>> This of course means that sharing this RabbitMQ with other apps /
>> James
>> servers of other tenant represent a data isolation / security issue,
>> that we leverage by giving James his own dedicated RabbitMQ server,
>> which don't help mutualizing costs.
>>
>> Thus, I would like to leverage Cassandra to keep track of created
>> queues.
>>
>> This is a task that could be quickly tackled by Quan our intern, who
>> wants to learn about NoSQL. This could be a very good sandbox issue
>> for him.
>>
>> Feedback?
>
> What about using RabbitMQ virtualhost feature instead?
>
> https://www.rabbitmq.com/vhosts.html

Thanks. Needless to say, we already use that at the AMQP level.

I was unaware VHost restrictions did apply in the management plugin too.

I apologize, my argument is not the right one.

 - Management API access freaks admins out - at least the one I know.
Stopping supporting it will calm them down ;-)

You know, these people have weird checklists, especially external
auditors might not be much open to debate ;-)

 - Actually the management API is *so unstable* that we need a retrier
on it:

0135291 JAMES-2544 Use Feign retry mechanism to retry calls on RabbitMQ
management API

(I agree the commit miss a nice explanation message)

This setup relying on retires (not working without retries!) do not seem
like a "production-ready" thing.

I'd like to enhance this matter of fact!

Cheers,

Benoit

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,