Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2018/10/16 08:06:53 UTC

Getting through the hoops (was: Mentors wanted...)

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:29 PM Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
> ...I've continued to reach out to other initial committers to get them through the
> hoops here at Apache--which took <one of them> a few weeks of setup, reading, etc...
> Mostly, I think folks find the process daunting. :-/...

I'm curious what's so hard, maybe we aren't explaining things properly?

IMO an initial or elected committer needs to choose an Apache ID,
register their iCLA, wait for their account to be created, sign up to
their project's dev (and maybe private) list and they're in business.
Ok, for now they also need to create accounts on Jira and Confluence
if the project uses that.

Is this what's considered too hard, or did I miss something?

-Bertrand

Re: Getting through the hoops

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On 16 Oct 2018, at 13:26, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> So, I took a stab at this, Work-In-Progress and what not:
>
> https://icla.live/

Rather neat.  I’d practice data-minimalisation right out of the gate though - as to not burden the ASF with data that becomes a liability.

E.g. drop the phone number.

Secondly - the first question -I’d be a lot clearer about the option to `hide’ this by providing a public name.

Perhaps pre-fill the public name with the full one - or ask the public name -first- and rephrase it - under what name  are you publicly known in the ASF community.

For some countries - I’d keep the option open to simply print it and sign & scan and email.

Dw.

Re: Getting through the hoops

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
I should note that this only generates a PDF, it doesn't send it - so
test all you like!

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 10/16/2018 02:43 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>> https://icla.live/
>
> I love it! With a few comments ;-)
>
> We should be very clear about which information is required or not, I
> don't think we really need a phone number for example - it should be
> clear what's the minimal required information.

I don't personally know which fields are required and which are merely
optional, so I'm CCing secretary@ on this one. If we could get sojme
clarity, I can improve the form a bunch.

> I'd prefer a form with all fields on the same page, otherwise I'm
> always wondering how many "next steps" there are ;-)

I could, of course say "step N/10" on the various pages for starters :)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> > https://icla.live/

Also, the "Process completed" page should indicate what happens next.
"You will get an email when your iCLA is recorded" or something.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 10/18/2018 08:59 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> Finding the project for an ICLA isn't too hard provided the person's name
> was mentioned in the mailing list recently. Finding the userid for someone
> new, however, does require them to tell us ahead of time.

Mhmm, that's why I made it mandatory on icla.live, and also check
against existing user IDs. It's not perfect (someone can still be stupid
and insist on 'webmaster'), but it's better than before :)

On that note, I think I'm done for now with that site. Use it for
projects if y'all want to :)

Re: Getting through the hoops (was: Mentors wanted...)

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Getting through the hoops (was: Mentors wanted...)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.