Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2022/12/14 17:15:10 UTC

Version scheme for native installer/laucher

Hi,

https://github.com/apache/netbeans-native-launchers or
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-native-installers are using version taken
from Apache NetBeans main repo.

But their resepective lifecycle are not in synchro with NetBeans. They
should be voted and incorporated before main vote. It will always be tricky
to get proper version.

On a PR we proposed to change to YYYY.MM format for this external so we
could have an easy way to know when it was release.

Any better ideas ?

Best Regards

Eric

Re: Version scheme for native installer/laucher

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
I am still using "linux versioning" for some projects and personally
prefer it over date based versioning.

you simply increment numbers till you feel they are high enough, then
you bump the major version.

"X.0" has no particular meaning - its a version like any other.

I think this would work well here too since tooling like launchers don't
really need versions for marketing purposes.

-mbien

Posted by Arnaud bourree <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,