Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/24 02:50:21 UTC

[RFC] webstart plugin (m2)

The m2 webstart plugin is today usable for small use cases. It could
be improved.

This is a RFC for all (potential) users of the m2 webstart plugin.

Are you a webstart user? Could you describe us your use cases?

    * do you deploy webstart on static pages?
    * which JDK do you support?
    * do you use native libraries?
    * do you localize your jnlp file? If so, at which phase of the delivery?
    * do you deploy multiple webstart apps at once? (multiple versions
of the same app, multiple jnlp files, ...). What differentiates them?
    * do you want pack200 to work?
    * do you want to use the jnlp servlet?
    * missing any feature from the current m2 webstart plugin config?
(sending us a jnlp file would be great)

Look at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MOJO/Webstart+Plugin for more
information and an updated list of questions.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jerome

Re: [RFC] webstart plugin (m2)

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.
2005/11/24, jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>:
> The m2 webstart plugin is today usable for small use cases. It could
> be improved.
>
> This is a RFC for all (potential) users of the m2 webstart plugin.
>
> Are you a webstart user? Could you describe us your use cases?
>
>     * do you deploy webstart on static pages?
Yes
>     * which JDK do you support?
1.5
>     * do you use native libraries?
No
>     * do you localize your jnlp file? If so, at which phase of the delivery?
No
>     * do you deploy multiple webstart apps at once? (multiple versions
> of the same app, multiple jnlp files, ...). What differentiates them?
>     * do you want pack200 to work?
Not specially
>     * do you want to use the jnlp servlet?
Not specially
>     * missing any feature from the current m2 webstart plugin config?
> (sending us a jnlp file would be great)
Haven't tried it yet, I'll give it a shot as soon as I have some spare time

> Look at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MOJO/Webstart+Plugin for more
> information and an updated list of questions.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Thanks to you !!

Best regards
Jose

Re: [RFC] webstart plugin (m2)

Posted by Geoffrey <jc...@hotmail.com>.

jerome lacoste wrote:
> The m2 webstart plugin is today usable for small use cases. It could
> be improved.
>
> This is a RFC for all (potential) users of the m2 webstart plugin.
>
> Are you a webstart user? Could you describe us your use cases?
>
>     * do you deploy webstart on static pages?
Yes, in one use case we just ftp them to a non-java webserver.
In another however, we throw them in a war and deploy that war which
uses tee jnlp servlet to dynamically insert the $$codebase.
>     * which JDK do you support?
1.5
>     * do you use native libraries?
no
>     * do you localize your jnlp file? If so, at which phase of the delivery?
no
>     * do you deploy multiple webstart apps at once? (multiple versions
> of the same app, multiple jnlp files, ...). What differentiates them?
not yet
>     * do you want pack200 to work?
initially not, but it might be handy for future releases.
Delta support is another thing for the long run wish list.
>     * do you want to use the jnlp servlet?
Yes, most definitly.
It's feature to inject the codebase dynamically is every important.
>     * missing any feature from the current m2 webstart plugin config?
> (sending us a jnlp file would be great)
I haven't tested yet, but there were to things annoying in the m1 jnlp
version:
- If a jar was already signed (for example acegi-security-0.9.0.jar by
the acegi project leader), it just added our signing.
This might look like the right thing to do, but it should be possible to
remove the original signing, so the user doesn't haven to accept 2
signings. Actually java webstart 1.5 has a bug that it can't handle 2
signings of a jar ... so we are making unsigned version of acegi.
- A war project should be able to depend the result of a jnlp project
and the war plugin should be able to copy the jnlp in the webapp root or
a subdirectly (preferable default jnlp subdirectory?). This actually
means there should be a jnlp type like there is a jar, war, ejb, ear,
... type...

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet