Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2005/12/02 10:35:12 UTC

JCR UUID syntax

Hi Jackrabbit community,

I'm sorry if this question is answered in the spec, I didn't find anything
in the sections covering referencable nodes.

Is the syntax for UUID strings (as returned by Node.getUUID) part of the spec,
or implementation specific?

A mail by Tim Reilly and the Jackrabbit javadocs contain a reference to

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt
or -01.txt, respectively. Unfortunately both of them return a 404
(the IETF search page is down ATM).

Thanks for any hints!

Regards,
-- Andreas

Re: JCR UUID syntax

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>.
Hi,

Andreas Hartmann kirjoitti:
> Is the syntax for UUID strings (as returned by Node.getUUID)
> part of the spec, or implementation specific?

I'm actually not sure. I believe the intention is for implementations to
use the standard UUID format, but some legacy content repositories could
also use custom identifiers (the global identifiers in Notes would be a
good example).

> A mail by Tim Reilly and the Jackrabbit javadocs contain a reference to
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt
> or -01.txt, respectively. Unfortunately both of them return a 404
> (the IETF search page is down ATM).

The UUID class in the Jackrabbit source tree is based on an earlier
version of the UUID class from the commons-id package. The
mealling-uuid-urn draft was promoted to RFC 4122 during the summer
without any changes to the UUID format. The pointer was changed in the
commons-id sources (see bug 35820 in the Apache Bugzilla), but the
change never propagated to Jackrabbit as we perhaps should consider
making commons-id a normal dependency once it moves out of the commons
sandbox.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: JCR UUID syntax

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
#: Stefan Guggisberg changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  12/2/2005 12:15 PM :#
> On 12/2/05, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... Jackrabbit is using the jug library ...
>
> ?? not that i would know...
>
> cheers
> stefan

Yeah. My mistake. I have rechecked and indeed it is not. However the format is the one I have
described :-).

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Re: JCR UUID syntax

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: JCR UUID syntax

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
#: Andreas Hartmann changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  12/2/2005 11:35 AM :#
> Hi Jackrabbit community,
>
> I'm sorry if this question is answered in the spec, I didn't find anything
> in the sections covering referencable nodes.
>
> Is the syntax for UUID strings (as returned by Node.getUUID) part of the spec,
> or implementation specific?
>
> A mail by Tim Reilly and the Jackrabbit javadocs contain a reference to
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt
> or -01.txt, respectively. Unfortunately both of them return a 404
> (the IETF search page is down ATM).
>
> Thanks for any hints!
>
> Regards,
> -- Andreas

afaik the UUID is described on some IETF. Also if IIRC there are 2 general formats. Jackrabbit is
using the jug library to generate the UUID and this returns UUID in the format:

HEX_CHAR = [abcdefABCDEF0123456789]
UUID_PATTERN= HEX_CHAR{8}-HEX_CHAR{4}-HEX_CHAR{4}-HEX_CHAR{4}-HEX_CHAR{12}

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.