Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Artem Karpenko <go...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/19 21:16:11 UTC

Suggester for a wrong keyboard layout

Hi.

is there a Solr/Lucene spell checker/suggester that notices wrong
keyboard layout used for a search phrase and suggests words in another one?

This makes sense for people whose native language is not based on Latin
letters, for example, Russian or Greek, so they use several keyboard
layouts and toggle them with a key combination, usually ctrl(alt)+shift.
This is a somewhat common error to input a whole word if not a sentence
without noticing that you've missed ctrl/alt+shift beforehand, and usual
spell checker won't be able to guess what word user meant (like "дгсуту"
instead of "lucene"). However, Google provides suggestions for this
case, namely, it would suggest "lucene" when searching for "дгсуту".

I did not found appropriate class in Solr and was wondering - could this
feature be of use? If so - I would like to try to implement it and
contribute back. What are your thoughts on this?

Of course, if it wasn't added for a reason (say rather simple solution
exists for this problem without bringing spellchecker mechanism into the
game), I'd like to know about this too.

--
Best regards,
Artem Karpenko.

Re: Suggester for a wrong keyboard layout

Posted by Артем Карпенко <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erik,

thank you for the input. I assume (maybe too presumptuously) that for more
"conventional" languages that simply lay onto US keyboard there would be a
solution using direct mappings between characters from different layouts
and checking words from underlying Solr corpus; however if implementing the
complete solution, the suggested algorithm could be quite useful.

Artem.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.