Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/07 07:05:15 UTC

site.xml and tabs.xml

How does one control which of the menus in nav-section will be open
when the tab is first selected? Been through the docs and recent list
discussion on this and can't see it, my apologies if it's been there
all along.

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:

> How does one control which of the menus in nav-section will be open
> when the tab is first selected? Been through the docs and recent list
> discussion on this and can't see it, my apologies if it's been there
> all along.

(Assuming that there are no changes in the new skinning mechanism), have
a look at my recent posting "Re: Inconsistent tab/menu behavior"
in the user list.

In short:

When a tab is first selected Forrest will on fact open the file that
you've named as the index file for that tab in tabs.xml and display
a menu as open that contains a reference to that file in site.xml.

Looking at your tabs.xml I see that

<tab id="outclients" label="Outclients" dir="management/outclients/">
<tab id="subtab" label="subtab" dir="management/outclients/oldshit" />
</tab>

so your indexfilename would be automatically named
management/outclients/index.html. Forrest would open that file and
- if it existed - try to match it with a reference in site.xml.

However, when I look at your site.xml I see

<index label="Test" href="index.html"/>

as a reference in your outclients part of the menu.

Unfortunately you have not labeled that reference-link which means
that Forrest will consider it to be hidden and never show it on the menu.

Which in turn means that Forrest will not show that file in context
of a menu when it is opened by clicking that tab. Which is why all
menus are closed.

In other words: you must habe a visible link in site.xml to see a file in
context. Labeling that link should imho do the trick.

-- Ferdinand Soethe

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:

> Did notice a couple of typos in pelt.fv though. Patch attached (I hope...)

Please do not attach patches to email. It will get
overlooked. Please add it to the Issue tracker:
http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html

-David

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:

> - But - If you are deviating from the graphically linked tabs and left
> nav (like I am) it's not very intuitive to have the section closed
> when you first select it. My use case is the display of minutes from
> monthly meetings, and it's good to display the current ones by
> default.

Problem is that you really need to know how it works to reliably
achieve your goals. Very typical of Forrest and other complex beasts.
Use the provides templates or invest in understanding what they with
very little middle ground to tweak them just a little bit.

> So, the ability to control which groups are open is important.

Not sure what the 'so' is about. Afaik this ability is there if you
understand the system. Just place the start page of your tab in the
menu that you want opened ...

> Ok, it'd be really good to get this documented in a way which was
> reasonably easy to understand.

True. My recent posting "Re: Inconsistent tab/menu behavior"
in the user list was a step towards that.

> I'm getting the empty labels to force
> menus to open.

> still not clear on the differences between href"" and

There is a lot more on that in my above mentioned posting.

> dir"" and on which attributes are applicable at which level.

dir in tabs will determine the directory for the indexfile that is
opended when you click the tab. I'm not aware of any other use but I
haven't checked ...

> It'd also
> be interesting to work out how to specify output directories ----

What do you mean by that?

> analogue background: I think in ins and outs, Cocoon's logic seems
> like quantum mechanics to me.

Sorry, this is not Coocoon at all. This menu-system are just a very
intricate piece of accessible webdesign and coocon merely put's it
together. Apart from that it is all XSL-T, HTML and CSS.

> Might experiment a bit more and put up more theories which can be shot down ~~~;

Have fun ...

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
> In my view this is a feature and not a 'lack'. Or - to put it
> differently - one of two ways of handling menus. Keeping everything
> open that the user opens is an alternative way of handling menus that
> will soon become a pain because the menu will become quite cluttered.

- But - If you are deviating from the graphically linked tabs and left
nav (like I am) it's not very intuitive to have the section closed
when you first select it. My use case is the display of minutes from
monthly meetings, and it's good to display the current ones by
default.

> Also, as far as Forrest is concerned, it will increase the likelyhood
> that (in larger menus) the selected menu item is in a part of the menu
> that requires scrolling to become visible.

So, the ability to control which groups are open is important.

> Careful about conclusions about behavior drawn from quick examples.
> Ime Forrest menus is far to complex to reliably do that.

Being wrong is almost as good as being right though, isn't it?

Seriously though, it seems like Forrest menus could be better explained.

> [...]
> from your example:
>
> site.xml
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <site label="MyProj" href="" xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="">
>     <menugroup tab="tabone">
>         <childone label="childone" >
>             <childone href="index.html" label="childonelabel" />
>         </childone >
>         <childtwo label="childtwo">
>             <childtwo href="index.html"  label="" />
>         </childtwo>
>     </menugroup>
>     <childthree label="childthree" tab="tabone">
>         <childthree href="index.html" label="childthreelabel" />
>     </childthree>
> </site>
>
> tabs.xml
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE tabs PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Cocoon Documentation Tab V1.1//EN" "http://forrest.apache.org/dtd/tab-cocoon-v11.dtd">
> <tabs software="MyProj"
>   title="MyProj"
>   copyright="Foo"
>   xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>     <tab id="tabone" label="tabone" dir="" />
> </tabs>
>
> > Childthree would display the root label, 'childthree', only.
>
> True. Main reason being that
>
> - childthree is the only labeled and thus
>   visible group that is associated with tabone.
> - there is a reference to index.html in that group so Forrest will
>   open that group deep enough to display that menu-item.
>
> If you now put a label to menugroup
>
> site.xml
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <site label="MyProj" href="" xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="">
>     <menugroup label="menugroup" tab="tabone">
>         <childone label="childone" >
>             <childone href="index.html" label="childonelabel" />
>         </childone >
>         <childtwo label="childtwo">
>             <childtwo href="index.html"  label="" />
>         </childtwo>
>     </menugroup>
>     <childthree label="childthree" tab="tabone">
>         <childthree href="index.html" label="childthreelabel" />
>     </childthree>
> </site>
>
> you would actually see all three
> childgroups open because they all contain a reference to the same
> index.html (because you have the same filename (index.htm) and no
> directory (href) in the menu parents)!
>
> A bit weird is the display of index in childtwo (a
> line below the menu), but that probably has to do with the missing
> label for the reference to index.html.
>
> >  It seems that any menu groups which are within the menu group root
> > element will open when the tab is selected as long as they have a
> > label attribute. The following would seem to show all the items form
> > childone and childtwo and the index.hml from childone.
>
> Imo this is the wrong conclusion. Only those will open that contain a
> reference to the currently open file.

Ok, it'd be really good to get this documented in a way which was
reasonably easy to understand.  I'm getting the empty labels to force
menus to open. still not clear on the differences between href"" and
dir"" and on which attributes are applicable at which level. It'd also

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
>> Forrest has a lack. Only one set of menu items will
>> be displayed,

In my view this is a feature and not a 'lack'. Or - to put it
differently - one of two ways of handling menus. Keeping everything
open that the user opens is an alternative way of handling menus that
will soon become a pain because the menu will become quite cluttered.

Also, as far as Forrest is concerned, it will increase the likelyhood
that (in larger menus) the selected menu item is in a part of the menu
that requires scrolling to become visible.

>> that is the group that contains the
>> current URL. All other menu groups are closed.

True. Only this group will be displayed in an expanded way.
Although there may be more than one open menu (read on).

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
> > Do you know were I can see site.xml for the Forrest site?
>
> I suggested that earlier in this thread
> $FORREST_HOME/site-author/content/xdocs/site.xml

Thought you were referring to the sample site sorry. Had a slight
detour through 'server error' land, but it seems to be doing what I
need now.

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:
> > Paul i notice that you do not have a @tab attribute
> > on the outer "site" element of site.xml
>
> That's getting there - its now displaying the 'old papers' label with
> the contents listed, but what I'd like to do is tell it to open the
> list of files in that fold, and to be able to add more folds and
> select which ones to have open on tab selection.

Sorry i am confused.

> http://forrest.apache.org/index.html does this.
>
> Do you know were I can see site.xml for the Forrest site?

I suggested that earlier in this thread
$FORREST_HOME/site-author/content/xdocs/site.xml

The URL that is behind each Tab, needs to have an
entry in site.xml

The URL that is being viewed will cause the associated
items that are in its group in site.xml to be shown
in the menu.

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

Yes, mis-read the rules on @id's  - thought it applied to tab names only.

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> Paul Bolger a ?crit :
>
> I think you should add a  indexfile attribute in your different tabs :
>
> <tab id="home" label="Management Section Home" dir="management/"
> indexfile="thePageYouWantToBeSelected.html"/>
> (That is to say thePageYouWantToBeSelected.html is in management directory)

Only needed if not "index.html".

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
Paul Bolger a écrit :
>>  <forrest:property name="expanding">true</forrest:property>
>>

> Already switched on I'm afraid. I suspect Cyriaque's got the answer to
> this one, seems to be the nav guru ;)

Thanks ;-) .
If one mail talks about me, it appears in yellow in my thunderbird,
that's why I read this :-) .

I think you should add a  indexfile attribute in your different tabs :

<tab id="home" label="Management Section Home" dir="management/" indexfile="thePageYouWantToBeSelected.html"/>
(That is to say thePageYouWantToBeSelected.html is in management directory)

Try and tell us.

Salutations,
Cyriaque,

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
> You said you are using dispatcher, right? Which version?

Good question! I think it's RC1.

 I'm using the plugins

org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher
org.apache.forrest.themes.core

and set the dispatcher up using the 'Dispatcher Quickstart' doc about
five days ago.

> Can we see the tabs.xml and site.xml (a small example from both) where
> this happens?

Sure. Excuse the junk at the end. I'm really only interested in the
stuff up to the end of </outclients>

##tabs.xml (relevant bit only)

<tab id="home" label="Management Section Home" dir="management/" />
<tab id="palmact" label="PALM ACT" dir="management/palmact/" />
<tab id="palmcoffs" label="PALM Coffs Harbour" dir="management/palmcoffs/" />
<tab id="palmdubbo" label="PALM Dubbo" dir="management/palmdubbo/" />
<tab id="palmeastwest" label="PALM East/West" dir="management/palmeastwest/" />
<tab id="outclients" label="Outclients" dir="management/outclients/">
<tab id="subtab" label="subtab" dir="management/outclients/oldshit" />
</tab>

##site.xml (ditto)

<site label="Noffs Management Section" href="management/"
xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0">

<home label="Management Home" tab="home">
<index href="index.html"/>
<policies label="Policies and Procedures" href="">
<palmcoffs href="dummy.html"  label="dummy link"/>
</policies>
</home>

<palmact label="PALM ACT section" href="palmact/" tab="palmact">
<index href="index.html"/>
<old label="Old papers" href="pre2006">
<palmcoffs href="dummy.html"  label="dummy link"/>
</old>
</palmact>

<palmdubbo label="PALM Dubbo section" href="palmdubbo/" tab="palmdubbo">
<index href="index.html"/>
<old label="Old papers" href="pre2006">
<palmcoffs href="dummy.html"  label="dummy link"/>
</old>
</palmdubbo>

<palmcoffs label="PALM Coffs Harbour" href="palmcoffs/" tab="palmcoffs" >
<index href="index.html"/>
<old label="Old papers" href="pre2006">
<palmcoffs href="dummy.html"  label="dummy link"/>
</old>
</palmcoffs>

<!-- <palmcoffs label="PALM Coffs Harbour" href="palmcoffs/"
tab="palmcoffs" description="PALM Coffs Harbour papers and minutes">
<index label="PALM Coffs Harbour Section" description="PALM Coffs
Harbour papers and minutes"/>
<index href="index.html"/>
</palmcoffs> -->

<palmeast label="PALM East/West" href="palmeastwest/"
tab="palmeastwest" description="the PALM East/West area">
<palmeast href="index.html" />
<old label="Old papers" href="">
	<palmeast href="MINUTE OF STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 17TH NOVEMBER
2005.html"  label="MINUTE OF STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 17TH NOVEMBER
2005"/>
	<palmeast href="MINUTES OF STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 20TH OCTOBER
2005.html" label="MINUTES OF STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 20TH OCTOBER
2005"/>
	<palmeast href="MINUTES OF STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 24th MARC1.html"
label="MINUTES OF STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 24th MARC1"/>
	<palmeast href="MINUTES OF STAFF MEETING.html" label="MINUTES OF
STAFF MEETING"/>
	<palmeast href="OH&amp;S minutes 28th Sept.html" label="OH&amp;S
minutes 28th Sept"/>
	<palmeast href="STAFF MEETING 17TH NOVEMBER.html" label="STAFF
MEETING 17TH NOVEMBER"/>
	<palmeast href="STAFF MEETING 2.12.05.html" label="STAFF MEETING 2.12.05"/>
	<palmeast href="STAFF MEETING 8TH SEPTEMBER 2005.html" label="STAFF
MEETING 8TH SEPTEMBER 2005"/>
	<palmeast href="STAFF MEETING MINUTES 13th JANUARY 2005.html"
label="STAFF MEETING MINUTES 13th JANUARY 2005"/>
	<palmeast href="STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 28TH JULY 2005.html"
label="STAFF MEETING THURSDAY 28TH JULY 2005"/>
</old>
	</palmeast>

<outclients label="Outclients Section" href="outclients/"  tab="outclients">
<index href="index.html"/>
<old label="Old papers" href="pre2006">
<palmcoffs href="dummy.html"  label="dummy link"/>
</old></outclients>

  <testxml label="test of xml transform" href="xml/" tab="palmeastwest">
  <testxml id="test" href="1.13 selection.xml" label="test" />

  </testxml>
  <Policies label="policies" href="policies/" tab="home">
    <policy id="8.2.01"
href="8-2-01-access-to-medical-services-non-acute-conditions.html"
label="Access to Medical Services-Non-Acute Condition"/>
 <policy id="8.2.02"
href="8-2-02-access-to-medical-services-acute-conditions.html"
label="Access to Medical Services-Acute Conditions"/>
 <policy id="8.2.03" href="8-2-03-admission.html" label="Admission"/>
 <policy id="8.2.04" href="8-2-04-assessment.html" label="Assessment"/>
 <policy id="8.2.05" href="8-2-05-behaviour-management.html"
label="Behaviour Management"/>
 <policy id="8.2.06" href="8-2-06-action-plans.html" label="Action Plans"/>
 <policy id="8.2.07" href="8-2-07-case-conference.html" label="Case
Conference"/>
 <policy id="8.2.08"
href="8-2-08-client-rights-and-responsibilities.html" label="Client
Rights and Responsibilities"/>
 <policy id="8.2.09"
href="8-2-09-client's-belongings-and-valuables.html" label="Client's
Belongings and Valuables"/>
 <policy id="8.2.10" href="8-2-10-critical-incidents.html"
label="Critical Incidents"/>
 <policy id="8.2.11" href="8-2-11-discharge-process.html"
label="Discharge Process"/>
 <policy id="8.2.12" href="8-2-12-drug-use.html" label="Drug Use"/>
 <policy id="8.2.13" href="8-2-13-family-and-carer-support.html"
label="Family and Carer Support"/>
 <policy id="8.2.14" href="8-2-14-handover.html" label="Handover"/>
 <policy id="8.2.15"
href="8-2-15-household-tasks-and-chores-(pe).html" label="Household
Tasks and Chores (PE)"/>
 <policy id="8.2.16"
href="8-2-16-household-tasks-and-chores-(pw).html" label="Household
Tasks and Chores (PW)"/>
 <policy id="8.2.17" href="8-2-17-incident-reports.html"
label="Incident Reports"/>
 <policy id="8.2.18" href="8-2-18-infection-control.html"
label="Infection Control"/>
 <policy id="8.2.19" href="8-2-19-leave.html" label="Leave"/>
 <policy id="8.2.20" href="8-2-20-length-of-stay.html" label="Length of Stay"/>
 <policy id="8.2.21" href="8-2-21-medication.html" label="Medication"/>
 <policy id="8.2.22" href="8-2-22-mini-case-review.html" label="Mini
case review"/>
 <policy id="8.2.23" href="8-2-23-morning-exercise.html"
label="Morning Exercise"/>
 <policy id="8.2.24" href="8-2-24-night-shift.html" label="Night Shift"/>
 <policy id="8.2.25" href="8-2-25-on-call-roster.html" label="On-call Roster"/>
 <policy id="8.2.26" href="8-2-26-overdose.html" label="Overdose"/>
 <policy id="8.2.27" href="8-2-27-petty-cash.html" label="Petty Cash"/>
 <policy id="8.2.28" href="8-2-28-progress-notes.html" label="Progress Notes"/>
 <policy id="8.2.29" href="8-2-29-rapport-building.html"
label="Rapport Building"/>
 <policy id="8.2.30" href="8-2-30-record-keeping.html" label="Record Keeping"/>
 <policy id="8.2.31" href="8-2-31-relationships.html" label="Relationships"/>
 <policy id="8.2.32" href="8-2-32-residents-money.html"
label="Residents Money"/>
 <policy id="8.2.33"
href="8-2-33-responding-to-allegations-of-physical-and-sexual-abuse.html"
label="Responding to allegations of Physical and Sexual Abuse"/>
 <policy id="8.2.34" href="8-2-34-role-of-pal-within-palm.html"
label="Role of PAL within PALM"/>
 <policy id="8.2.35" href="8-2-35-searches.html" label="Searches"/>
 <policy id="8.2.36" href="8-2-36-shift-planning.html" label="Shift Planning"/>
 <policy id="8.2.37" href="8-2-37-telephone-calls.html"
label="Telephone Calls"/>
 <policy id="8.2.38"
href="8-2-38-telephone-screen-and-related-procedure.html"
label="Telephone Screen and Related Procedure"/>
 <policy id="8.2.39" href="8-2-39-urine-and-breath-testing.html"
label="Urine and Breath Testing"/>
 <policy id="8.2.40"
href="8-2-40-household-tasks-and-chores-(palm-dubbo).html"
label="Household Tasks and Chores (PALM Dubbo)"/>
 <policy id="8.2.41" href="8-2-41-disposal-of-substances.html"
label="Disposal of Substances"/>
 <policy id="8.2.42"
href="8-2-42-provision-of-injection-equipment.html" label="Provision
of injection equipment"/>
 <policy id="8.2.43" href="8-2-43-client-registration.html"
label="Client Registration"/>
 <policy id="8.2.44" href="8-2-44-admission-and-discharge-log.html"
label="Admission and Discharge Log"/>
 <policy id="8.2.45" href="8-2-45-assessment-appointments.html"
label="Assessment Appointments"/>
 <policy id="8.2.46"
href="8-2-46-telephone-calls-residents-palm-east-west.html"
label="Telephone Calls-Residents (PALM East/West)"/>
<policy id="8.2.47" href="8-2-47-van-usage-palm-east-west.html"
label="Van Usage (PALM East/West)"/>
<policy id="8.2.48" href="8-2-48-meal-plans-palm-east-west.html"
label="Meal Plans (PALM East/West)"/>
<policy id="8.2.49" href="8-2-49-music-palm-east-west.html"
label="Music (PALM East/West)"/>
<policy id="8.2.50" href="8-2-50-telephone-cards-palm-east-west.html"
label="Telephone Cards (PALM East/West)"/>
<policy id="8.2.51" href="8-2-51-take-away-food-palm-east-west.html"
label="Take-Away Food (PALM East/West)"/>
<policy id="8.2.52" href="8-2-52-weekly-review-palm-east-west.html"
label="Weekly Review (PALM East/West)"/>

  </Policies>
  <!--
  The href must be wholesite.html/pdf  You can change the labels and node names
  <all label="All">
    <whole_site_html label="Whole Site HTML" href="wholesite.html"/>
    <whole_site_pdf label="Whole Site PDF" href="wholesite.pdf"/>
  </all>
  -->
  <external-refs>
    <forrest href="http://forrest.apache.org/">
      <linking href="docs/linking.html"/>
      <validation href="docs/validation.html"/>
      <webapp href="docs/your-project.html#webapp"/>
      <dtd-docs href="docs/dtd-docs.html"/>
      <new_content_type href="docs/your-project.html#adding_new_content_type"/>
      <buildPlugin href="docs/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html"/>
    </forrest>
    <cocoon href="http://cocoon.apache.org/"/>
    <xml.apache.org href="http://xml.apache.org/"/>
  </external-refs>

</site>

Re: site.xml and tabs.xml

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mar, 07-03-2006 a las 17:14 +0930, Paul Bolger escribió:
> > Have you seen the tips?
> > http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/linking.html#tab-site
>
> Yes.
>
> > Also look at our forrest site for an example
> > $FORREST_HOME/site-author/content/xdocs/site.xml
> > See the @tab attributes for each section,
> > which refer to the @id attributes in tabs.xml
> >
> > -David
>
> I've been trying to work it out from comparing the example site with
> my version, but I can't see how it works. The tabs are all working as
> expected, but they start fully folded. It'd be good to be able to show
> the documents which are current and keep older stuff in the fold.

You said you are using dispatcher, right? Which version?

Can we see the tabs.xml and site.xml (a small example from both) where
this happens?

tia

> Paul

salu2