Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com> on 2007/03/31 03:22:07 UTC

Towards an Axis 1.5 Release

All,

Earlier today someone brought up the question of future Axis
development and support, and Dims mentioned the possibility of doing
an Axis 1.5. I've long been interested in seeing another Axis1
release, and as my employer supports an open source stack that
includes Axis, they're willing to let me devote some time to working
on driving that. So I've combed through the (almost 700) unresolved
issues in the Axis JIRA of Major priority or higher and come up with
a list of issues that either have patches already that do not appear
to have been evaluated/committed, or look like they would be
important things to fix prior to a 1.5 release.  I took the liberty
of creating a page on the ASF wiki to track Axis 1.5 release
planning, and posted what I came up with over there.

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/Axis1%2e5ReleasePlan

The page is broken down by issue type, and further gives recommended
actions for each issue identified.

I'm hoping that by doing this I can help stir up some interest in
doing a 1.5 release. I'm eager to participate in it by working on
fixes, writing unit tests and running the unit tests to evaluate new
patches.  If there's anything else I can do to help with a 1.5
release, let me know.

In the meantime, it would be great to refine this some more, so any
suggestions or opinions on the plan would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bjorn