Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/01 15:24:25 UTC

Removing long-deprecated (and undocumented) support for implicit configuration parameter overrides

When configuration parameters are declared in aggregates they include a
list of overrides, each specifying the delegate and the parameter within it
that is overridden.   For many years there has been a deprecated feature
that treats a definition without any overrides as if it "implicitly"
overrides parameters with the same name in any of its delegates.  For more
than 5 years, for at least as long as UIMA has been in Apache, use of the
feature has produced a message warning that the usage is deprecated.  I
propose that we finally remove it.  (In the interest of full disclosure I
should add that removing it simplifies the code I've recently added for
external parameter overrides.)

We could provide a tool that checks for such usage and optionally corrects
descriptors by removing the parameter or adding explicit overrides, but
since it has never been documented in the Apache releases it may be
sufficient to throw an exception identifying the descriptor and parameter.
 The examples I have found have all been accidents ... e.g. after modifying
an aggregate by removing a delegate and its overrides a parameter has been
left without any overrides, so should have been deleted.

Concerns?

~Burn.