Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Kristian Rink <ri...@pm-planc.de> on 2007/08/09 09:39:55 UTC

3.0a, james/maven2?

Folks;

maybe two rather stupid questions I stumbled across while moving some of
my james based projects to maven2:

(1) In

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/james/james-server/3.0a/

there is "james-server-3.0a.bar" - what on earth is this? I supposed
james to be at 2.3.1 the last time I visited the web site?

(2) Likewise, there is a mailet api package version 3.0a, which
examining its content, seems to be different to the 1.0 release, having
a few classes missing (org.apache.mailet.Mail in example). What is this
package all about? Which version is the right one to use with james
2.3.1 - isn't there a mailet-api-2.3.1 or something like that around?

Can someone enlighten me? :)
TIA and bye,
Kristian

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH  * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden

Re: 3.0a, james/maven2?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Kristian Rink ha scritto:
> Folks;
>
> maybe two rather stupid questions I stumbled across while moving some of
> my james based projects to maven2:
>
> (1) In
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/james/james-server/3.0a/
>
> there is "james-server-3.0a.bar" - what on earth is this? I supposed
> james to be at 2.3.1 the last time I visited the web site?

I was not here yet, so this is what I can understand from the
repository. Maybe some "older" committer will jump in and give us a
better explanation.

Until 2 years and 3 months ago in trunk we had in trunk something named
3.0a:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/tags/pre-v2and3-merger-trunk/default.properties?revision=168247&view=markup

What I guess is that trunk started some revolution while a branch also
started for minor fixes and changes.

At one point a merge have been done and the version 2.3-dev has been
decided for the "after branch" artifact:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/trunk/default.properties?r1=168251&r2=234130

So, I don't really know what code there was in trunk and what code has
been "lost" in the merge process, but no one ever spoke about it, so I
guess there was nothing important to be revamped (or anything important
have already been merged).

I really don't know WHO deployed an unreleased product in the maven
repository: it is not a voted release from the JAMES PMC so it should
not be there at all.

> (2) Likewise, there is a mailet api package version 3.0a, which
> examining its content, seems to be different to the 1.0 release, having
> a few classes missing (org.apache.mailet.Mail in example). What is this
> package all about? Which version is the right one to use with james
> 2.3.1 - isn't there a mailet-api-2.3.1 or something like that around?
>
> Can someone enlighten me? :)
> TIA and bye,
> Kristian

Unfortunately JAMES Server 2.3.1 is not on the maven repository, but it
is the latest version available from the JAMES team.

JAMES Server 2.3.1 includes its own mailet.jar (v2.3, the same included
in james server 2.3.0). Simply unpack the sar and you will find it.

Maybe in a few weeks/months the team will release also a first milestone
of 3.0 as a preview of what there is in trunk now.

Stefano