Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/13 03:31:13 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

I have put together a GUI for Struts called Struts
Console.  Struts Console is a Java Swing based
application for managing Struts configuration files.

Struts Console is availbale at:
http://www.geocities.com/jholmes612/

Just unpack the zip file and view the README for
details on running Struts Console.

I'd like to get people's feedback and find out what
they like/dislike, what they would add/remove or
anything else you think about the tool.

I'd like to see this tool evolve into "the" struts GUI
app and be part of the standard struts distribution.

Thanks,

James Holmes
jholmes612@yahoo.com

http://im.yahoo.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
James Holmes wrote:
> Any ideas on what might be added/changed in the Struts
> 1.1 DTD?  After having spent much time working with
> the DTD now I can see there are some changes that
> would be nice.

There's nothing specific on the list now

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/todo-1.1.html

(and this *is* the one-and-only list). Though, I'm thinking of adding
"Assemble struts-config elements from multiple files.", as mentioned
elsewhere.

> Is workflow supposed to be part of Struts 1.1?  1.1
> timeframe?

At Jakarta, timeframes have no direct relationship with a calendar.
There is absolutely no way to tell when Struts 1.1 might ship because
there is absolutely no way to tell how much time the Committers, and
other developers will have available to work on the project. From Struts
0.1 to 0.5 was about five months (I think), and 0.5 to 1.0 was another
nine, if that tells you anything.

As it stands, the Tiles and Validator packages slated for 1.1 can be
used with 1.0 now, along with other extensions, like Nic Hobb's Security
for Actions. Feedback on how people are using any of these would help
speed the process along. I'll try to update the TODO list, since many
items there are actually being tested, are already done, or just
obsolete.

Personally, I'm going to try and get some significant working
applications up on the Website where people can download and dissect
them. This should help generate more working code, as people see things
they would like to fix, and then provide the fixes.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
I plan to use existing code/technology such as
CodeMaker to implement the "wizard" type
functionality.  I have started to venture down these
paths yet as I am working on trying to get what I
would consider "core" functionality working.

I would very much like to see a wizard that uses
CodeMaker and does the auto-generation of the
formbean/action classes.  I'd also like to see a
"Validation" wizard.  This way users can quickly set
up some of the generic parts of an application and
then concentrate on the unique part of their
application.

Currently the Struts Console uses JDOM for the XML
reading and writing.  This is because JDOM makes it
very easy to work with XML files.  I'm not opposed to
having it use the Digester framework in the future,
but for now I'm taking the easy route.

I hope to go with the ASF license as early as next
week.  I am going to be working a great deal on the
code this weekend to get into an acceptible state.

Just so that everyone knows, here is what I am
currently working on:

*) Sorting out the issues with the formatting of the
outputted/saved files.  This is big.  Many people will
likely want to use both the tool and hand editing.
Formatting must not be altered by tool.

*) Adding the ability to sort the different columns of
data.  This seems to be in high demand, especially for
people working with large config files.

*) Fixing the bug where empty elements are produced.
For instance, if you add a property to a forward and
then don't set it's name or value the tool generates a
tag like this: <set-property property="" value="" />.
This shouldn't happen in my opinion.  Not sure if it
breaks Struts or not, but it's useless.

*) When something is deleted from a table the previous
row should be highlighted.

*) Get the "Data Sources" tab/screen working.  I'm
sure people want to be able to edit "all" of their
config files :)

*) Add the ability to view (and eventually edit) the
config file source from the tool.

*) etc. etc. etc. Keep sending the ideas/requests!

Any ideas on what might be added/changed in the Struts
1.1 DTD?  After having spent much time working with
the DTD now I can see there are some changes that
would be nice.

Is workflow supposed to be part of Struts 1.1?  1.1
timeframe?

-james

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg10052.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Glad to hear it works on platforms other than M$*.
I don't have access to any other platforms right this
second so I haven't had a chance to put together a
shell script for starting it or anything.  Or even
test it.

I have had similar issues with the formmatting of the
file once it has been saved under Win2K.  The Struts
Console uses JDOM beta7 for reading and writing the
config file.  I opted to go this route since the
Digester code that Struts uses is for reading and not
writing files (AFIK).  I was also hoping that using
JDOM (vs. using Digester or writing a custom SAX
handler) would preserve the formatting of the config
files for situations like you mention.  It is my
intention for the program to work as a simple tool for
editing the file, but not changing its formatting.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

Posted by Bill Clinton <bc...@snipermail.com>.
Hello,

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts Console

Posted by Rakesh <ay...@india.com>.
Its really good.

I guess I saw a mismatch between the Path Name and Form Bean Name in Action
Mappings.
This may be due to the JTable.

Regards,

Rakesh

> I have put together a GUI for Struts called Struts
> Console.  Struts Console is a Java Swing based
> application for managing Struts configuration files.
>
> Struts Console is availbale at:
> http://www.geocities.com/jholmes612/
>
> Just unpack the zip file and view the README for
> details on running Struts Console.
>
> I'd like to get people's feedback and find out what
> they like/dislike, what they would add/remove or
> anything else you think about the tool.
>
> I'd like to see this tool evolve into "the" struts GUI
> app and be part of the standard struts distribution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Holmes
> jholmes612@yahoo.com

Messenger

The struts example exception

Posted by Eleonora Bider <eb...@verticalnet.com>.
Hi,
I just tried to start the example that distributed with the struts, and get
the following exception at the mainMenu.jsp:
Thu Sep 13 11:04:17 IST 2001:<I> <WebAppServletContext-struts> resolving
taglib
uri '/WEB-INF/app.tld' to taglib-location /WEB-INF/app.tld:
Thu Sep 13 11:04:18 IST 2001:<I> <WebAppServletContext-struts> resolving
taglib
uri '/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld' to taglib-location /WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld:
Thu Sep 13 11:04:19 IST 2001:<I> <WebAppServletContext-struts> resolving
taglib
uri '/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld' to taglib-location /WEB-INF/struts-html.tld:
Thu Sep 13 09:35:24 IST 2001:<E> <WebAppServletContext-struts> Servlet
failed with Exception
weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspException: (line 16): user is not defined as bean
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspLexer.jspException(JspLexer.java:673)
        at
weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspLexer.mXML_GET_PROPERTY(JspLexer.java:2994)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspLexer.mXML_THING(JspLexer.java:1707)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspLexer.mTOKEN(JspLexer.java:1612)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspLexer.nextToken(JspLexer.java:1548)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspLexer.parse(JspLexer.java:888)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspParser.doit(JspParser.java:69)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspParser.parse(JspParser.java:125)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.Jsp2Java.outputs(Jsp2Java.java:109)
        at
weblogic.utils.compiler.CodeGenerator.generate(CodeGenerator.java:242
)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspStub.compilePage(JspStub.java:312)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspStub.prepareServlet(JspStub.java:227)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.getServlet(ServletStubImpl.
java:200)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
pl.java:115)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
pl.java:138)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(RequestDispat
cherImpl.java:158)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionForward(ActionSer
vlet.java:1758)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:159
5)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:509)

        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:772)

It seems that the session has the attribute of type
org.apache.struts.webapp.example.User with key "user" (checked with simple
System.out.println).
Can somebody explain me what wrong with user?

		Eleonora.