Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/11/18 20:40:54 UTC

Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

On Nov 18, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> area that needs attention is rewriting contributing.openoffice.org to fit
>>> ASF and AOO policies. (Policies may need to be written and discussed.)

>>> from the fifth button - "I want to participate in OpenOffice.org"

>>> rewrite. Any committer can do this work.

>>> "contributing". Within that directory there should be an index.mdtext and
>>> as many subpages as required. Once completed, I can do an svn copy or move
>>> to the ooo-site tree.
>>>>

>>> Before actually doing the work, let me propose a radical
>>> simplification.  AOO is organizationally flat, so we don't have all
>>> the destination sub-projects of the legacy OOo website.
>>>
>>> 1) The "I want to participate" link on the main page goes to a single
>>> new page.  No need to be at contribute.openoffice.org.  In fact, I
>>> think I'd avoid that since to participate != to contribute.
>>>

>> Rob--
>>
>> I'm not following you here. It's true that of course we are not going to
>> follow the former "project" hierarchy (lucky for use the "Projects" tab is
>> now gone on the setup site) that existed within OpenOffice.org, but I'm not
>> understanding what you’re trying to say about the existing "participate "
>> link on the home page that transfers to  contributing.html.
>>
>> In the legacy OOo sense, the "participate" link jumped to a "contribute"
>> page, contribute.html,  which listed a few ways to contribute/participate,
>> so in this sense, I think it meant the same thing (?).
>>
>> I think you are making a distinction between participating and contributing
>> (?) based on ???? actual participation -- coding, etc -- vs monetary
>> contributions?
>>

> In English, participate means to take part in.  Contribute means to
> give something (including money, time, resources, etc.) for a
> charitable purpose.  So anyone who participates in the project is also
> contributing to the project via their time..  But not everyone who
> contributes is also participating.  For example, if you just donate
> via Paypal, then you are contributing, but not participating.

The site says "Participate" this what the pages describe and what the rewrite should be.

The subdomain and OOo / Collabnet / Kenai project is contributing. contributing.openoffice.org can have a permanent redirection wherever we decide. We can reduce all links to the old site to the index of the new Participate Page(s).

The c.oo.o site currently has the following categories.

Programming
Marketing
Quality Assurance
Graphics and Art
Writing
Helping Users
User Experience
Monetary Donations
Language Communities

I think most of the categories should be kept.

There is also a guideline. This should be replaced with an introduction to the Apache Way. There should be concrete examples of how users can find a ways to participate in the project within each category.

Programming
	ooo-dev, svn, builds, ...
Marketing
	ooo-marketing, ...
Quality Assurance
	Bugzilla, ...
Graphics and Art
	Logos, icons, fonts, skins, ...
Writing
	Apache CMS, ODFAuthors, api docs, ...
Helping Users
	ooo-users, Forums
User Experience
	?
Monetary Donations
	ASF donations and sponsorship links.
Language Communities
	Language Packs, N-L communities, what to do to add support for a language to AOO.
	NL Mailing lists, NL Forums.
Apache Software Foundation
	The Apache Way, Project Governance, ...

The more I think about this the more I think these are podling pages.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> rewrite should be.
> >
> > The subdomain and OOo / Collabnet / Kenai project is contributing.
> contributing.openoffice.org can have a permanent redirection wherever we
> decide. We can reduce all links to the old site to the index of the new
> Participate Page(s).
> >
> > The c.oo.o site currently has the following categories.
> >
> > Programming
> > Marketing
> > Quality Assurance
> > Graphics and Art
> > Writing
> > Helping Users
> > User Experience
> > Monetary Donations
> > Language Communities
> >
> > I think most of the categories should be kept.
> >
> > There is also a guideline. This should be replaced with an introduction
> to the Apache Way. There should be concrete examples of how users can find
> a ways to participate in the project within each category.
> >
> > Programming
> >        ooo-dev, svn, builds, ...
> > Marketing
> >        ooo-marketing, ...
> > Quality Assurance
> >        Bugzilla, ...
> > Graphics and Art
> >        Logos, icons, fonts, skins, ...
> > Writing
> >        Apache CMS, ODFAuthors, api docs, ...
> > Helping Users
> >        ooo-users, Forums
> > User Experience
> >        ?
> > Monetary Donations
> >        ASF donations and sponsorship links.
> > Language Communities
> >        Language Packs, N-L communities, what to do to add support for a
> language to AOO.
> >        NL Mailing lists, NL Forums.
> > Apache Software Foundation
> >        The Apache Way, Project Governance, ...
> >

> > The more I think about this the more I think these are podling pages.
> >

> What I see is this:
>
> 1) What we have at openoffice.org today for this page is pretty much
> 100% wrong.  It is useless or worse for anyone interested in learning
> how to participate in AOO.
>
> 2) Any prolonged development and planning effort around creating a new
> sub-site is equally ineffective, at least in the near term, since no
> users go to ooo-site.
>
> 3) From what I've been told, the plan is to switch the ooo-site live
> within a couple of weeks,
>
> So.... it seems to me that anything that can be done now, in the short
> term, is more useful.  We can always refine it over time, add to it.,
> expand it, make it more friendly, etc.  But almost anything is better
> than the 100% incorrect information that is on the website now.  So
> I'd recommend, per my original proposal, that we just put a 1-pager up
> for now, directing volunteers to ooo-dev.  Unless, of course, someone
> actually is volunteering to do more in this same timeframe.  Doing
> more later is fine as well.  But let's keep the focus on what can be

WOW! OK, lots to do in a rather short time period! I totally agree that the
current site says NOTHING about working with Apache. In some sense, we're
luck that none of the tab navigation elements came across, so, for now, we
need to deal with what's only linked from the home page as it stands!

> -Rob

MzK

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

> proceed

> short
> it.,
> better
> up
> someone

> >> that?

> >> want.

> bounced
> >> "developer"
> >>
> >> This is a concern, but I think that this is the correct action - if a
> user
> >> wants to participate then they are engaging at Apache.
> >>
> >> I think it will be important that the "get_involved" page has been
> updated
> >> and that the PPMC (and our mentors) are happy with it.

> >> I am back home and will be thinking through a number of details and a
> >> larger plan.
> >>

> > Oh good! We have LOTS of details to work out that's for sure. I hope I
> can
> > accomplish the redirect through a meta redirect in a header for now --
> thus
> > preserving the content. However, with the current CMS, hmmm....not sure
> if
> > I can get this to work. We'll see.
>
> We can just redirect everything that is contributing.openoffice.org to
> wherever we decide. We'll do this on migration with HTTPD configuration. On
> www. we should just change the URL.

ok, gotcha!

> As far as preserving the old - at this point I think we should tag the
> directory in svn and then remove it. You have a copy in your people as well.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> > by the way its animals are treated."
> >                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> redirect contributing.openoffice.org to our new page either to

> >> independently from the content correction.

> >> pruning approach that must proceed specially for several subdomains.

> >> podling site as possible.

> >> attention to the AOO podling's story.
> >>

> >> Let's try to restart this thread, since it appears entropy got he best
> >> of it in the first try.
> >>
> >> We currently have this on the Podling website:
> >>
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html
> >>
> >> Can we update that as needed and just direct the participate page to
> that?
> >>
> >> One higher level issue we have is that we have never reached consensus
> >> on how the Apache-domain project site and the openoffice.org site
> >> relate.  I'll start another thread on that/
> >>
> >> -Rob

> > Rob--We can certainly do this pretty quickly if that's what we TRULY
> want.
> > I don't see any responses to this in the last 4 days.
> >
> > My only concern/objection is that if we did this, the "users" are bounced
> > out of the user portal and into what we are now considering the
> "developer"
> > portal, but, oh well.
>
> This is a concern, but I think that this is the correct action - if a user
> wants to participate then they are engaging at Apache.
>
> I think it will be important that the "get_involved" page has been updated
> and that the PPMC (and our mentors) are happy with it.
>

> > How about if we don't hear any major objections by say, Dec. 1, I'll go
> > ahead and make this change (redirect contributing/index.html to this).
> > Nothing is in concrete, we can always go back or do something else.
>
> I am back home and will be thinking through a number of details and a
> larger plan.

Oh good! We have LOTS of details to work out that's for sure. I hope I can
accomplish the redirect through a meta redirect in a header for now -- thus
preserving the content. However, with the current CMS, hmmm....not sure if
I can get this to work. We'll see.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> > by the way its animals are treated."
> >                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> The plan is to redirect with wildcards to specific pages. See my other email.
>>>
>>> I am thinking we will do that type of redirect to most of the legacy openoffice.org site. It might make sense to ask Apache Infra for a third Apache CMS tree called ooo-archive and move all of the legacy that is either hopelessly out of date, currently without a people to support it, or irrelevant to OOo under Apache.
>>>
>>> I want to be careful about this as a balancing act of displacing users will need to be considered. Each page that is a target of a redirect will need to be carefully edited to allow that most people arriving at that page will feel lost. They won't be getting what they expect and it might not be in their native language.
>>>

>> How will you know if you are doing this well or poorly?  If, due to a
>> typographical error on a redirect rule, how would you know if you
>> "lost" 10,000 pages?   That's my concern.  We're trying to migrate
>> content with 2.6 million external links to it based on eyeballing a
>> list of redirects.  That might get you 90% of the way there.  But 10%
>> is still a lot of errors.
>
> I'm pretty good at doing the eyeballs - I've got four of them with progressive lenses - and I think we will have less than 300 rules. I will put all the redirects on the CWiki page I started. I am sure we will have other eyeballs like Joe's and everyone looking at Infrastructure commits.
>
> You've also made some useful suggestions about scanning and testing for broken internal links. This is actually a greater concern to me. IIRC you suggested listing all the hrefs, sorting for duplicates and then testing each.
>
>> Maybe you can get Infra@ to archive http logs for the week before and
>> the week after the migration?
>
> Sure Infra can help us look for 404s from the first week after, but I don't know how the week before would help - the logs are at Oracle and different stuff will be broken.

The idea is this:  If no one has really been minding the legacy
website or watching for these errors then we're likely starting from a
baseline of some non-zero number of 404's even before migration.  You
can imagine how fun it will be to track down what broke in the
migration if some of the errors were pre-existing errors ;-)

Of course, we might not be able to get the legacy logs from Oracle....

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hello again--

OK, based on this discussion (really meta redirects in the header would be
most useful in my opinion), I will NOT be changing the "participate" link
on the now ooo-site home page until the discussion on this is finalized.
Or is it for this one aspect? I'm somewhat confused about the approaches
here.

And yes, we do indeed to redirect the entire "contribute.openoffice.org" to
something just as we'll need to do for ALL the projects sites.

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> don't know how the week before would help - the logs are at Oracle and
> different stuff will be broken.
>
> To address your concern we should look specifically at what a 404 error
> page should look like and how to address this.
>
> Go to qa.openoffice.org and you will see trouble with how bugzilla was
> migrated without the qa project in front of it.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > -Rob
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

> now at our option and the AOOo has reasonable discretion with regard to
> timing.  It seems that cut-over can be done as soon as ooo-site is ready
> enough to be the new live site.  And the subdomains don't all have to cut
> over together and everything will still work.  A progressive, rolling

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On 27 Nov 2011, at 20:47, Rob Weir wrote:

> Some of the external links are to the kind of content we are already
> throwing out.
>
> For example:  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html points to
> http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/sissl_license.html
>
> It is entirely irrelevant to our work at Apache, but do we keep it for
> historical reasons?

SISSL is documented permanently at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/sisslpl.php and we could either advise gnu.org to change their link or redirect there ourselves.

S.

Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>> Redirects are easy once the live-site is our site and it can be figured out how to add HTML <head> meta tags that the Apache CMS allows.  Also, there is always the good old .htaccess scripting of a redirect (again, working around the CMS I suppose).
>>
>> It should be done on at least on ooo-site even if it has no effect until cut-over.
>>
>> There is no reason to break a link on speculation when it is easy to avoid breaking it, or having the break be temporary until cut-over.  (I'd bet the page has been search-indexed and the "your download is starting, thank you for downloading" pages link to donation/contribution points.)
>>

> Dennis, I have absolutely no objections to any redirect rules that you
> are volunteering to implement.  I, however, do not think they are
> worth while, so I will not be spending any time on them.

I discussed with Joe at Apachecon the go-live redirect strategy - we should be able to do most everything using permanent redirect rules for virtual hosts in httpd.conf files.

E.g. contributing.openoffice.org/* -> incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/.

I have started at OOOUSERS page - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/DNS,+Virtual+Hosts+and+Redirects

There is a large amount of detail to add to this, but you can see the plans forming around DNS, Hosts, Redirects and specific locations in the project's svn tree.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> > I agree that we can be quick. We will ask Apache Infra to permanently
>> redirect contributing.openoffice.org to our new page either to
>> >
>> > http://ooo-site.apache.org/participate/
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/
>> >
>> > As long as there is a simple page in place the infra change can proceed
>> independently from the content correction.

>> > Well, next few weeks. I'm contemplating a more direct approach and
>> pruning approach that must proceed specially for several subdomains.
>> >
>> > downloads.oo.o is another discussion and it goes as far away from the
>> podling site as possible.

>> > Agreed. Keep it simple and then refine it. I think it will turn some
>> attention to the AOO podling's story.
>>

>> Let's try to restart this thread, since it appears entropy got he best
>> of it in the first try.
>>
>> We currently have this on the Podling website:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html
>>
>> Can we update that as needed and just direct the participate page to that?
>>
>> One higher level issue we have is that we have never reached consensus
>> on how the Apache-domain project site and the openoffice.org site
>> relate.  I'll start another thread on that/
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> > Regards,
>> > Dave

> Rob--We can certainly do this pretty quickly if that's what we TRULY want.
> I don't see any responses to this in the last 4 days.
>
> My only concern/objection is that if we did this, the "users" are bounced
> out of the user portal and into what we are now considering the "developer"
> portal, but, oh well.

I think that is the intended behavior, as the user changes focus from
"product" to "project".  By analogy, if you are at the Pepsi website
and want to look for  a job, then you go to the PepsiCo corporate
website and look at their HR page.  There might be some commonality
across the two sites, a common color scheme, etc., so the transition
does not need to be abrupt.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Nov 18, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> +1 on podling pages.

Someone needs to build and repurpose the podling pages. When they are ready we can request the redirection from Apache Infra.

This can be done before the full site migration.

> Good catch.
>
> I think maybe contributing.openoffice.org should go away.  If it redirects, it should be to an i.a.o page, but nuking it might be best of all.
>
> The places where there are links to it need to be renamed for Contributing to Apache OpenOffice, unless it is better to link some to a wiki page that links to the many OO.o-peer projects that would enjoy contributors.  I'm for that on the OpenOffice.org domain.

Peer projects might be here as well, or on a wiki. Policy about these links must be discussed separately.

Regards,
Dave

Re: [OT] Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 21 nov. 11 à 13:56, Shane Curcuru a écrit :

>> I have perfectly understood, but you'll probably have to
>> distrubute some
>> roles too. This is urgent.
>
> Why do you say that?  What roles besides sufficiently diverse PPMC
> members and enough committers to work on the code base does the
> podling need?

I meant the areas of work are various, e.g. marketing, communication,
and some other domains too. Too much of work will need to delegate.

OpenOffice.org has a bad image in the public currently. Just to
mention the french case, people think OpenOffice.org is still Oracle
owned and is no longer free. More we wait and more the bad
information propagates.

>> In return, ...
> Apologies if my style was misinterpreted;

Accepted.  Let's concentrate us on the graduation you mentioned.

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: [OT] Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

On 2011-11-21 1:35 AM, eric b wrote:
> So why do you protect people like you do with Hagar Delest ?
>
> Refuse other people to know all the people working with them is exactly
> the beginning of such Monarchy : people are not equal in your system.

Because that's ASF policy in terms of accepting iCLAs and allowing
committers to have access.  It has nothing to do with Hagar.  It's also
not going to change.  It's also not going to allow or become a monarchy.

> Remember : I only ask that PPMC know the real name of everybody in the
> PPMC, nothing else. How can we trust people if we don't know who they are ?

"Get used to disappointment."

>> I also think it's pretty clear from the discussions here by the most
>> active PPMC members (in terms of actual commits, not mailing list
>> traffic) that this PPMC explicitly does not want to re-form any of the
>> structures from the previous OpenOffice.org project.
>

> I have perfectly understood, but you'll probably have to distrubute some
> roles too. This is urgent.

Why do you say that?  What roles besides sufficiently diverse PPMC
members and enough committers to work on the code base does the podling
need?

> In return, I got your sarcasms.

Apologies if my style was misinterpreted; I was not trying to be
sarcastic in my previous reply.  Just trying to point out the very real
differences between how Apache projects are run and how the previous
OpenOffice.org project was run.  Differences that will be enforced if
the project wishes to graduate to become a full Apache project.

- Shane

Re: [OT] Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 20 nov. 11 à 17:38, Shane Curcuru a écrit :

> On 2011-11-20 3:19 AM, eric b wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Le 20 nov. 11 à 01:30, Kay Schenk a écrit :
>>
>>> OK, I truly hate to make a comment like this, but...
>>>
>>> eric b, any chance you could take your issues with Louis
>>> somewhere other
>>> than this list?
>
> Kay has a point, and in a more established Apache project this kind
> of discussion would *not* be appreciated.

I perfectly understand.

>   However I understand that there's a lot of history in the
> previous OpenOffice.org project, especially with a lot of strong-
> willed individuals, so I'll contribute to this thread.

And you will see that Oracle was not the bad boy. And you'll discover
that a little number of people, always the same, mostly producing
nothing, had some responsabilties in the disaster too.

The same one are on top of the TDF now, and some are there, inside
Apache OpenOffice.org.

> [...]
>> I'm simply describing a system who caused a disaster in
>> OpenOffice.org.
>> Louis was just one ot "the band".
>>
>> If what people reported me is true, this "Monarchy" is still alive
>> (I've
>> heard of "discussions with old Community Council") , and probably,
>> there
>> is one plan behind the wood.
>
> Do you have specific references to such behavior happening within
> an Apache project?
>
> If you do not, well, then I can only say with my 9 years of
> experience being an Apache Member that Monarchies are *not*
> tolerated at Apache, and if the relevant (P)PMC can't ensure that
> the community acts in an open and meritocratic way, that either the
> Incubator PMC or the board will step in to ensure that it does (or,
> will terminate the podling/project).

So why do you protect people like you do with Hagar Delest ?

Refuse other people to know all the people working with them is
exactly the beginning of such Monarchy :  people are not equal in
your system.

Remember : I only ask that PPMC know the real name of everybody in
the PPMC, nothing else. How can we trust people if we don't know who
they are ?

> I can also say with my AOO Mentor hat that from my perspective, the
> Community Council of the previous OpenOffice.org project is gone,
> ceased, no longer exists as an officially recognized organization.
> A lot of past organizational structures that were related to the
> Sun or Oracle led project in the past are gone; it's just that
> Oracle never bothered to officially announce the end of them (as
> best I can see). It's obvious that a number of people who used to
> have titles or roles in those organizations are hoping to get them
> back or otherwise continue to use them, but they have no meaning
> within the governance of this Apache podling.
>
> I also think it's pretty clear from the discussions here by the
> most active PPMC members (in terms of actual commits, not mailing
> list traffic) that this PPMC explicitly does not want to re-form
> any of the structures from the previous OpenOffice.org project.

I have perfectly understood, but you'll probably have to distrubute
some roles too. This is urgent.

>> As volunteer, not being paid, and working a lot on the code in my
>> spare time, I'd like to concentrate me on something ethical and
>> true, to avoid this occur again, and see the MERIT and TRUE
>> CONTRIBUTIONS (not only code) being the motor, but not politics,
>> nor mind manipulators.
>>
>> If I have some doubts, or if ever the old crappy system is back, I
>> promise to immediately stop to contribute to Apache
>> OpenOffice.org, without regret.
>
> Yes, you've said this before (in terms of leaving the project if
> you couldn't know Hagar's true identity), which I have to say from
> my perspective doesn't help your argument any (at least not in the

And I can explain easely : I was really unsubscribed a long time,
ignoring everything about Apache OOo (that's why I ignore a lot of
things discussed in meantime).

Recently, one reported me issues, and I - generously - proposed to
fix them in apache OpenOffice.org too. I did that because I simply
wanted to help, and share my knowledge (I'm not paid for anything I
do in free software world). My purpose was to help Apache
OpenOfice.org, because what is happening (e.g. in France) is not
honest too (Communication war, and bad lobbying).

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-11-20 3:19 AM, eric b wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Le 20 nov. 11 à 01:30, Kay Schenk a écrit :
>
>> OK, I truly hate to make a comment like this, but...
>>
>> eric b, any chance you could take your issues with Louis somewhere other
>> than this list?

Kay has a point, and in a more established Apache project this kind of
discussion would *not* be appreciated.  However I understand that

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
OK, I truly hate to make a comment like this, but...

eric b, any chance you could take your issues with Louis somewhere other
than this list? This is, I believe, the second personal rant I've seen like
this, and I, for one, don't really feel it's appropriate for the venue.
Thanks.

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
As the guy who created the education project on OOo, and who has long championed the goal of not only helping thru education new contributors but also of using education to promote FOSS, OOo and the ODF, I naturally think it's vital to have it.

But what would be its remit?

I would suggest we clarify goals. I would also like for us to work, whenever possible, with Apache's extant efforts in this area, and with cousin projects, like Mozilla. The more we team up, coordinate, collaborate, the more beer (not just speech) will be free.

Louis

(Nonsense words? iPad's spellchecker.)

-- Louis Suárez-Potts

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.