Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rick Anderson <ri...@rci.rutgers.edu> on 2000/11/03 15:27:52 UTC

Why run multiple tomcats?

The documentation for Tomcat seems to recommend that for a multi developer
environment everyone run their own tomcat instance and each developer
having their own server.xml file.

Isn't there an easier and cleaner way of doing this?

I'm using mod_jk to hook Tomcat into Apache. Shouldn't it be possible to
set each developer as a worker in worker.properties file?

Thanks for your time,
--Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson	| rianders@rci.rutgers.edu
________________|_____________________________________
Continuous Education & Outreach
Manager of Computer Systems,  (732)932-5071

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by David Knaack <dk...@rdtech.com>.
From: "Joe Emenaker" <jo...@emenaker.com>
> > I'm currently running each of my sites with separate tomcats
> > with their own separate server.xml files, and I thought it
> > was actually a pretty clean way of doing it,
>
> Well, with each webapp getting it's own "/lib" and "/classes" directories
> and such (although this is part of the servlet 2.2 spec, so not unique to
> tomcat), tomcat has already gone a long way toward giving each development
> its own sandbox.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid :)  Since we are dealing
with separate virtual domains, I like to be able to shut
down/restart the tomcat for a domain if necessary without
having to disturb other domains.  For instance, if we were
replacing a WAR for one site, I believe it is necessary to
actually shut tomcat down (from what I've read anyway, I
haven't actually had to do that yet).

In a situation where there isn't a problem with bringing
tomcat down for some reason, I might prefer to just run
one, since the multiple java sessions do tend to gobble
up lots of memory.

DK

Re: [tomcat-user] Re: $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml isn't readed in Tomcat 3.2b6???

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Alberto Silva wrote:

> ... so... I have to forget about a global web.xml???

in 3.2 yes forget about it.  either go to 3.1, 4.0 or code it yourself for
3.2.

> And how can we change Tomcat to use Jikes without recompiling the source??

in 3.2 there is no way.  either go to 3.1, 4.0.  You cannot override the
compiler in a context's web.xml (i've tried in several release of 3.2, but
this may no longer be the case).

> I think this an important configuration issue... any idea???

I would think that tomcat-dev knows that this is important.  I don't know
what their intentions are, but I don't think that tomcat-user was made
aware of any.  Feel free to report back any info that tomcat-dev gives
you.

a global web.xml is simply a plus, I don't think the spec mandates it.

I think the workaround ie: recompile WebXmlReader) is all most people
need.

Good Luck,

Kenneth Topp

---
 to unsubscribe: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
 for more info: http://jakarta.apache.org/getinvolved/mail.html

Posted by Alberto Silva <al...@nmp.es>.

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.

Posted by Saurabh Shukla <sa...@cysphere.com>.
Hi,

I am using Tomcat 3.2b, i want to block access to this post for every one
but from requests
send from localhost. ie, i want tomcat to respond only if the request comes
from
localhost.

Has any one has done this or tried ? any inputs so that i can implement it..

TIA,
Saurabh

Re: ;'s at the end of jsp:expr's allowed?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
robert@elastica.com wrote:

> SHould tomcat's JASP compiler be able to compile expressions that are
> terminated with ;'s?
>
> I thought you could optionally terminate the expresses with ;'s
>
> the problem is that is generates
>
> out.print(string;);
>
> which won't compile

No, the syntax for what goes into <%= %> must match the Java concept of
an expression, which is *not* a complete statement -- and therefore is
not terminated by a semicolon.

Craig McClanahan

;'s at the end of jsp:expr's allowed?

Posted by ro...@elastica.com.

Tomcat + Apache + mod_jk questions/issues

Posted by Mike La Budde <mi...@irista.com>.
I have a coupla' questions regarding mod_jk useage to integrate tomcat w/
apache.

My environment is:
	Red Hat Linux 7.0 (w/ glibc patches)
	SUN JDK1.2.2_006
	Apache 1.3.14
	Tomcat 3.2beta6

Here's my mod_jk.conf file:

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.dll

<IfModule mod_jk.c>

JkWorkersFile /opt/tomcat/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile  logs/jk.log
JkLogLevel warn
JkMount /*.jsp ajp12
JkMount /*.do ajp12
JkMount /servlet/* ajp12
JkMount /examples/* ajp12

</IfModule>

1. The generated file mod_jk.conf-auto always ends up with the following
things wrong/missing:
	a) LoadModule jk_module libexec/mod_jk.so (instead of modules/mod_jk.so -
maybe this is different in the version of apache I'm using compared to the
way it used to be?
	b) Although I've attempted to JKMount /*.do to ajp12 this appears nowhere
in the generated file.

Naturally, I created my own mod_jk.config file and included this into
httpd.conf, but I was wondering if these were genuine bugs or if I was just
missing something?

Thanks,

Mike

$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml isn't readed in Tomcat 3.2b6???

Posted by Alberto Silva <al...@nmp.es>.
Hi,

I have been trying to change some parameters in my $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml in a Tomcat 3.2b6, but it seems that is isn't read at startup time. I have make teh sema thing in a Tomcat 3.1, and the parameters I change are readed.

I would like to change the welcome page, and tho compile my jsp pages with jikes instead of javac.

Is this issue a bug??? or maybe I am making something wrong???

Please, some help!

Lots of thanks!

Alberto Silva                 -  alberto@nmp.es  -     -o)
http://www.nmp.es             - +34 948 19 79 83 -      /\
GNU/Linux Registered and Supporter User   N.122522     _\_v
Ordenagailu baten gauzarik garrantzitsuena aulkia eta
teklatuaren artean dago

How can I see my webapps classpath?

Posted by ro...@elastica.com.
I want to print out the classpath that's associated with my web app
not the system one but the one that tomcat is using for the web app
after it's seen classes and lib. Is this possible?

jars in WEB-INF/lib

Posted by ro...@elastica.com.
For JASPER to compile JSPs is it enough to simply have my jars in the lib
directory. These are implicitly known to the classloader right?

ie. I do not have to have these jars in my CLASSPATH right?

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by zhanggy <zh...@teklink.net>.
please delete my addresss from mailinglist.
Thank you!

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by Jon Skeet <jo...@peramon.com>.
> Well, with each webapp getting it's own "/lib" and "/classes" directories
> and such (although this is part of the servlet 2.2 spec, so not unique to
> tomcat), tomcat has already gone a long way toward giving each development
> its own sandbox. About the only thing that I can think of off the top of my
> head that's still server-wide is the users/passwords. If tomcat could make
> that localizable, it seems that you'd only need to run one server. As far as
> users being able to crash the server without affecting anybody..... tomcat
> itself should crash when a webapp misbehaves.

Did you mean that tomcat itself *shouldn't* crash?

The thing is, servlets are still capable of doing nasty things like going
into tight loops etc. It's handy to be able to kill each developer's VM
separately - and potentially start each VM up with different parameters
(for proxies etc) or even run completely different VMs. Servlets also share
the same System.out, which can be handy to redirect for debugging purposes.

Jon

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by Jamie Krasnoo <te...@planetphat.com>.
Tomcat should never crash when a webapp misbehaves, it should just stop
the webapp from doing any harm in the first place, it should just report
an error and then move on. Tomcat documentation shows how to configure to
serve virtuals, although its a little vague. What I don't understand is
why can't you map an app directly to a directory instead of having it
mapped to a base directory and then putting everything within the proper
place i.e.: /mapped_dir/WEB-INF /mapped_dir/WEB-INF/classes etc. etc.

The docs never realy explain as to why this setup was chosen instead of
the old JServ way of just telling where the servlet is or should be.

Jamie

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by Joe Emenaker <jo...@emenaker.com>.

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by Rick Anderson <ri...@rci.rutgers.edu>.
In my case I have two developers who are building applications. I can
understand that they would want to have their own tomcat instance.
However, I have four other users that are developing XML server pages.
They don't really need their own version of tomcat. It would be better if
Apache passed *.xml and *.xsl over to cocoon and tomcat from that users
public_html directory.

--Rick

Re: Why run multiple tomcats?

Posted by David Knaack <dk...@rdtech.com>.