Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by John Blythe <jo...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/12 18:19:51 UTC

enquoted searches

hi (again!). hopefully this will be the last question for a while—i've
really gotten my money's worth the last day or two :)

searches like "foo bar" aren't working the same way they used to for us
since our 7.4 upgrade this weekend.

in both cases our phrase was wrapped in double quotes. the case that
performed as expected had the quotes escaped with a backslash.

this is the debug info from the one that is working as expected:

"parsedquery":"text:craniofacial text:bone text:screw
> (text:nonbioabsorbable PhraseQuery(text:\"non bioabsorbable\"))
> text:sterile",
>     "parsedquery_toString":"text:craniofacial text:bone text:screw
> (text:nonbioabsorbable text:\"non bioabsorbable\") text:sterile",

and the other:

"parsedquery":"SpanNearQuery(spanNear([text:craniofacial, text:bone,
> text:screw, spanOr([text:nonbioabsorbable, spanNear([text:non,
> text:bioabsorbable], 0, true)]), text:sterile], 0, true))",
>     "parsedquery_toString":"spanNear([text:craniofacial, text:bone,
> text:screw, spanOr([text:nonbioabsorbable, spanNear([text:non,
> text:bioabsorbable], 0, true)]), text:sterile], 0, true)",

it seems to be related to the spanNear() and/or spanOr() usage that is
injected in the latter case.

this is the query, by the way: "Craniofacial bone screw, non-bioabsorbable,
sterile"

removing ", sterile" will render results as expected, too. from the bit of
reading i did on the spanquery stuff i was thinking that maybe it was
related to positioning issues, specifically with 'sterile'. in the Analysis
tab, however, it's in position 6 in both indexing and querying output.

thanks for any thoughts or assists here!

best,

--
John Blythe