Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/03/11 14:09:23 UTC

[VOTE] uima-sdk-3.0.0-alpha02 rc3

Hi,

The 4th release candidate for 3.0.0-alpha02 is posted and ready for voting.

After some problems with the network getting to the dist-svn yesterday, I managed to upload rc4 this morning.

rc3 was thrown away because of a fault in uploading to repository.apache.org - apparently some network glitch happened during the upload which caused my local (source) computer to acquire a new network address, which, in turn, caused the upload to become split into two different uploads.

The main changes since 3.0.0-alpha02-rc4 are:

[UIMA-5349] uv3 migration tool duplicating generating comments
[UIMA-5361] uv3 migration tool - wrong defaulting for temp output directory

-------------
The main changes done in 3.0.0-alpha02-rc2 were:

[UIMA-5321] update lic/notice for slf4j
[UIMA-5319] fix api change report to delta from 2.9.0 level, also drop (filter
out) _Type and .internal. things to make the report more meaningful
update logging docs -  v3 user guide
[UIMA-5335] relax xml schema to allow index labels to have blanks in them
switch default logger to slf4j in factory config
[UIMA-5324] add logger suppression support
[UIMA-5346] fix to fs equals and sortCompare
[UIMA-5343] make logger levels match uimaFIT mappings
[UIMA-5353] upgrade uimaj-ep-debug plugin to use current earlyStartup api, old
one no longer working without the old compatibility package

---------------------

The main changes done in rc1 for alpha02 were:

 - Eclipse update site is now separate - it's under it's own high-level folder,
uimaj-v3-pre-production

 - the main eclipse update site was updated to include this as an additional
subsite.

 - The "select" framework APIs had javadocs added and some fixes which resulted
in API changes for some methods.

 - Logging was upgraded in two ways:  The log4j back end for the UIMA logger was
upgraded to log4j 2 (the current version).
  And, support was added for the slf4j logging facade.

 - changes made to uimaj-2.9.0 were merged.

 - Various implementations of UIMA built-in types which have corresponding Java
8 non-boxing versions of methods were
    augmented to support non-boxing alternatives; see the API changes report for
details.

 - a new report is available (similar to issues fixed) in the source-release and
binary distributions called api-change-report.html.

----------- (from the first alpha release vote: -------------

If you happen to use JCas in your pipelines, and have JCas classes other than
the standard built-in ones, these classes will need to be regenerated or
migrated.  If you use the Maven JCasGen plugin to generate the JCas classes as
part of your project's build, your good - nothing special need be done.

There is a migration tool, and there are scripts to run it, as well as Eclipse
launch configurations to run it.  The instructions for running this are in a new
documentation "book", part of the binary distribution (html and pdf) - it's
called the Uima V3 User's Guide.

The guide also has an overview section which lists the new features of this
release.  Many of these need more test cases written for them; I'm happy to
mentor any volunteers who want to improve the testing  .

---------------------

The list of changes in Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.0.0SDK-alpha02

The source and binary zip/tars and the Eclipse update site are staged to

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uimaj-v3/alpha02-rc4

The eclipse update site is a folder called "uimaj-v3-pre-production"
The artifacts are in the folder "artifacts".

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1128/

The SVN tag is here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-3.0.0-alpha02/

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uima-sdk-3.0.0-alpha02 rc4

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Fixed the subject line... to say rc4, since rc3 was thrown away (see below)

Re: [VOTE] [CANCELLED] uima-sdk-3.0.0-alpha02 rc3

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The binary assembly package has the wrong version of the javaparser, which this
last iteration upgraded from 2.5.1 to 3.1.1.

Cancelling to fix this.

-Marshall