Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Esteve Fernandez <es...@apache.org> on 2014/11/12 01:28:45 UTC

Re: using the apache cla for another project

Thank you all for your responses.

We're finally going to put the CLA in place and start requiring
contributors to sign it. However, we at OSRF wondered why ASF only requires
committers to sign the CLA, but not external contributors.

We see that it's easier for contributors to submit contributions by not
making them sign the CLA and also that it's covered by clause 5 of the
Apache 2 license. So, doesn't that clause also cover contributions made by
committers? We want to make our contributors' lifes easier too, so if we
can only require committers to sign the CLA, that'd be make it all much
simpler.

Thanks again.

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@apache.org>.
Thank you both.

Is the ASF policy to require committers to sign a the CLA just a
convenience to have them on file before assigning an ID or is there a legal
reason for that? Given that OSRF uses the same license as ASF and has
similar goals, we try to mimic as much of its process as we can so
contributors familiar with ASF have it easier to submit contributions.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Jim Jagielski summarized the Apache ICLA policy as follows:
> Once a person receives commit privs, however, it is ASF policy that they
have
> a signed iCLA on file.

Perhaps I'm being too simple about it, but I've always viewed the Apache
ICLA as primarily an application for an Apache contributor ID that allows
the named individual to post to Apache repositories and websites. That's all
the Apache secretary does when he processes those ICLAs. The secretary
assigns an Apache ID and files the ICLA in our records. End of story. There
is, at that moment, no contribution to consider licensing, no provenance to
verify.

The Apache ICLA says also, in essence, "everything I subsequently contribute
is for ASF to use for whatever." It is perhaps a shorthand way of applying
the notice "Licensed under Apache License 2.0" to every one of the
copyrighted works posted by that contributor under that ID to any Apache
repository. It sort of accomplishes the same goal, but I don't call the ICLA
a license.

If a project uses a CLA-like procedure to register contributors, that's a
good thing, but you needn't call it a C(License)A. Instead you can call it a

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.