Posted to dev@baremaps.apache.org by Antoine Drabble <an...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/02 11:28:27 UTC

Creation of issues for the IpLoc module

Hi everyone,

As you may have seen, I have created a few issues regarding the IpLoc
module on Github. They have been tagged with the *iploc* label.

For anyone who is not familiar with IP to location services: the goal is to
parse the public files from Network Information Centres. These files
contain metadata about the IP address ranges that they manage. There is one
Network Information Centre per continent. Then, using these parsed files,
we can query a Geographical database (such as Geonames) to locate the IP
addresses. Finally we create a database that contains a map of IP address
ranges and their Latitude/Longitude coordinates. IP location databases are
usually costly [1]. They have many purposes, one of which is locating
customers that connect to a website.

I will try to work on these issues in the following weeks.

Best regards,

Antoine Drabble

[1] https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-databases

Re: Creation of issues for the IpLoc module

Posted by Antoine Drabble <an...@gmail.com>.
Yes that would be the idea. Or at least propose a tool that allows people
to generate that database manually.
IP to location databases are used everywhere so it is a very important
subject, but we will have to see how well we can automate the handling of
the data that comes from RIPE and other providers.
I have not done a lot of research on existing open source projects like
this, but there probably exists some.

Have a great day!
Antoine Drabble

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.