Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by CrazyDiamond <Cr...@mail.ru> on 2015/11/06 11:02:01 UTC

solr-8983-console.log is huge

That log file is constantly growing. And it is now ~60GB. what can i change
to fix this?

Re: solr-8983-console.log is huge

Posted by CrazyDiamond <Cr...@mail.ru>.
i use solr cloud.

Re: solr-8983-console.log is huge

Posted by davidphilip cherian <da...@gmail.com>.
I think, the collection reload, using collection apis[1] should do the
work. If you are not on solr-cloud setup, just navigate to coreadmin on
solr UI, and click on reload, and see if that works.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API#CollectionsAPI-api2
http:
//localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=newCollection

Posted by CrazyDiamond <Cr...@mail.ru>.

Posted by davidphilip cherian <da...@gmail.com>.
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/201510.mbox/%3CCADBFWQ_c0EwSZX-1QY6UAFNUfSuKM5ECnYSDhj+by=73dEDxEw@mail.gmail.com%3E>
https://support.lucidworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/207072137-Solr-5-X-Console-Logging-solr-8983-console-log

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Yep, I looked at the new JIRA and finally figured out what the
problem is.

It should be changed, but in the meantime one can go in and
take the CONSOLE appender out of the logging properties file.

Or restart Solr periodically. Ugly but it would work.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Erick,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 11/6/2015 6:17 AM, Upayavira wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015, at 10:12 AM, sara hajili wrote:
>> You can change solr loglevel.bydefault solr logs for every thing.
>> You can change this by go in solrconsole.inlog/level and edit levels for
>> just error for example.
>> And this is temporary way.
>> You can also change solrconfig.insolr_home
>> In /log and change logging4j
>> Config.
>> For more info look at:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Configuring+Logging
>> That log file is constantly growing. And it is now ~60GB. what can i
>> change
>> to fix this?
>
> I recently created this ticket:

> It is all well and good saying you can change your logging to be less
> aggressive, but if the log file is never rotated, it WILL use up disk
> space one way or another. The correct way to fix this, I'd suggest is to
> not log anything to the console, and use log4j.properties to send log
> events to a file that *is* rotated.

I just commented on SOLR-8232 with what I think is a viable solution to
the problem -- change CONSOLE logging in all the log4j.properties files
to only log at WARN severity or higher.  There is some value to a
console log, but only if it doesn't duplicate every single informational
message that goes into the main log.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: solr-8983-console.log is huge