Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Grübel, Nicole" <Ni...@huk-coburg.de> on 2002/07/25 10:40:34 UTC

lack of memory

I just got told that it seems our system-memory gets overloaded by
Java-Xerces.
Does anybody have any idea this can occur? Could it be a problem with my
configuration or with our applications that are using it?
We are currently using Java VisualAge 3.5.3 with Log4J 1.1.3

Thanks for any advice!

Nicole

RE: lack of memory

Posted by davout <da...@dsl.pipex.com>.
I've stepped across a problem in the past where Xerces it doesn't seem to
release objects associated with DOM trees, i.e. 'Document'.

We had a junit based test harness that was running out of memory. We put a
profiler on the code and found that there were a ton of Doucment instances
hanging unreleased. This is even after all our code explicitly set all
'Document' and 'Node' class data members to 'null'

With Java its hard to tell whether this is a real bug or just the garbage
handler being a bit slow