Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2018/05/19 15:40:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3

Dear development community,

I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3 release!

This release includes 27 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the
changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12343166

Tag:
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_5_0_RC_3
Tag commit id: 6bff836d8373ff58f27f31106e9179eb4ab6b3ad

The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r27001).
Source release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.5.0-rc-3/sources
Convenience binaries:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.5.0-rc-3/distribution

Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3.

Reminder on ASF release approval requirements for PMC members:
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval
Hints on validating checksums/signatures (but replace md5sum with
sha256sum):
https://www.apache.org/info/verification.html

The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3
[ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
[ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3 because...

Here is my vote:

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sent from my primitive Tricorder

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
No bug in your example. X is picked up correctly normally but not for the
forward reference in Daniel's example.
So in Daniel's example the forward reference issue is one bug (now fixed).
As to whether there is another bug I haven't checked. I'd say quite
possibly.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
It's a requirement to keep the vote open to account for subsequent -1 votes
(except in circumstances like an emergency security fix).

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
My pleasure :-)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
I suspect there is some stray "X" class on the test classpath which keeps
the early checks happy until later resolution. Thanks for the fix.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
It is a standard error message whenever any module doesn't load. The same
thing would occur when you try to load groovy-nio module on JDK6 (nio is a
JDK7+ feature) or if you had your own custom extension module which
referenced a third-party library and you didn't have that library in the
classpath or you had some security manager in place which prohibited that
functionality.

We could advertise the purpose of our modules a bit more and at least have
a one line README in each subproject and/or package.html/package-info.class.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Potential Java 7 issue:

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.