Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Aloris Te <al...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/27 20:20:49 UTC

How to Find/Replace a break

Hi all,
So thankful for everyone that contributes and makes this product so
incredibly amazing!
I have one question: I am unable to do a find/replace on a line break [as
when a user hits "enter" and is reflected as the "paragraph symbol" when
the nonprinting characters (CTRL+F10) is active].
In other words, if I have an address list with 30 addresses in Writer, but
I want to move it over to the spreadsheet in address format, I don't want
each line to be put in each cell...I want the address to show up in the
spreadsheet as one complete address per cell. But because there is no
capability to find/replace the paragraph end, I cannot make the lines
appear in the same cell, with a soft return in the same cell.
I appreciate if someone could assist me to discover the right method of
find/replace.
Sincerely,
Hellen

Re: How to Find/Replace a break

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 15:20 27/10/2020 -0500, Aloris "Hellen" Te wrote:
>I have one question: I am unable to do a find/replace on a line
>break [as when a user hits "enter" and is reflected as the
>"paragraph symbol" when the nonprinting characters (CTRL+F10) is
>active]. In other words, if I have an address list with 30 addresses
>in Writer, but I want to move it over to the spreadsheet in address
>format, I don't want each line to be put in each cell...I want the
>address to show up in the spreadsheet as one complete address per
>cell. But because there is no capability to find/replace the
>paragraph end, I cannot make the lines appear in the same cell, with
>a soft return in the same cell. I appreciate if someone could assist
>me to discover the right method of find/replace.

First, the effect of pressing Enter and which is represented by a
pilcrow (what you are calling a "paragraph symbol") is a paragraph
break, not a line break. Line breaks are created in text documents by
pressing Shift+Enter and are shown by a bent left-pointing arrow.

There is a workaround you can use once you have pasted the material
into a spreadsheet:
o Select all the cells corresponding to one address - using click and
Shift+click.
o Go to Format | Merge Cells (or click the Merge Cells button in the
Formatting toolbar).
o Click Yes to acknowledge the merging of cell data. (Merge helpfully
adds a space between each original cell content.)
o Now you have a cell occupying more than one row. Simply use Merge
Cells again immediately to separate the rows and move the contents to
the first row.
o Select the unwanted blank cells and use Edit| Delete Cells... (or
right-click | Delete...) to delete them.
o Repeat for other addresses.

This may seem a heavy workload, but it is worth saying that you may
have to do some work on your data anyway. If your addresses follow on
in your text document, there is no way that OpenOffice can guess
where one finishes and the next starts. If you have indicated the
breaks between addresses in some way (an empty paragraph?), you have
not let on about how this is.

o If necessary, press Enter where required in the text file to add an
empty paragraph between each address.
o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Options.
o Ensure "Combine single line paragraphs if length is greater than
...%" is ticked.
o With this option still selected, click Edit... and modify "Minimum
size" to some suitable small value - perhaps even 0%.
o Go to Format | AutoCorrect > | Apply. (Note that it appears that
each address line needs not to end with a full stop for this to
work.) Each address becomes one paragraph; again, intervening spaces
are automatically added.
o Use Find & Replace with "^$" (no quotes) in the "Search for" box
and nothing in the "Replace with" box (and More Options | Regular
expressions ticked) to remove the empty paragraphs.
o Copy and paste into the spreadsheet.

I'm guessing that by "soft return" you mean that you want the
original address lines to remain as separate lines within the
spreadsheet cell containing that address. You can insert such line
breaks using Ctrl+Enter in the spreadsheet cell. I don't know of any
way to carry these over automatically from a text document.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How to Find/Replace a break

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
My instructions to myself for this are at
http://audilab.bme.mcgill.ca/~funnell/swil_ooo.html#replaceHardReturns

- Robert

Posted by Web Shari <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hellen,

Here is the note I use to do this:

\n for line break ctrl-enter
$ for a paragraph break

     * Regular carriage returns are $
     * Soft returns inserted with a Shift Return, are \n
     * Just an empty paragraph, i.e. a carriage return but with no text
on that line, is ^$
     * Tabs are \t
from: http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2005/12/finding_and_rep.html

You also have to select more options regular expressions.

Hope this helps!

Shari

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 13:50 19/11/2020 -0600, Aloris Te wrote:
>Thank you all so much for the incredibly informative tutorial! When
>I searched help, I was unable to find anything about the "pilcrow"
>or how to get rid of extra paragraph breaks. Thanks again for that!

No probs!

>For the record, when I have my info, it shows up as such in Writer:
>
>The question now would be how to get it from the above format into
>the below when putting it into the Spreadsheet (with each name &
>address in it's own cell, label ready for USPS):
>Jane Smith
>123 Main Street
>City ST 12345
>John Smith
>234 Main Street
>City ST 12345
>Jane Doe
>345 Main Street
>City ST 12345
>John Doe
>456 Main Street
>City ST 12345
>
>How would I replace a tab in the Find & Replace menu with a line break?

Wow! This is more difficult that it looks - or perhaps ought to be.
You cannot, as far as I know, replace anything with a line break. And
if you replace your tabs with paragraph breaks, you would get back to
your original problem: that each line of each address ends up in a
separate spreadsheet cell.

But it can be done. Here's one way:
o Select all the material in the text document.
o Go to Table | Convert > | Text to Table... .
o Select Paragraph for "Separate text at".
o OK.
o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... .
o Enter "\t" (no quotes) in "Search for" and "\n" (no quotes) in
"Replace with".
o Click More Options and ensure "Regular expressions" is ticked.
o Replace All.
o Select the entire table.
o Copy and paste into your spreadsheet.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How to Find/Replace a break

Posted by Aloris Te <al...@gmail.com>.
This is *EXACTLY* what I'm looking for! Thank you so much for the time and
effort you've spent in answering my email and giving me directions! Thank
you again!

Posted by Aloris Te <al...@gmail.com>.