Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Tyrrell, Jim" <Ji...@FMR.COM> on 2002/09/09 16:06:43 UTC

A possible bug

Everyone,

I am not sure if this is thru right place for this, but I think I uncovered
a bug in the new release of James.

I setup a James instance as a spammer process with 50 outgoing threads.

Okay I am not really a spammer, but everyone did sign up to get the emails.

Anyway the problem.  I turned up the outgoing thread count to 50, but failed
to notice the thread pool configuration at the bottom of the config file.
At some point during the sending of the email the James instance went to
100% CPU utilization and would not yield at all.  I am thinking maybe
wrongly that if the total thread count is less then the number that is
configured in other sections that a error message should be logged or at
least the server should fail better or something better then locking up the
CPU.

Of course the moral is to know how to configure this, but I think it should
fail better then taking up all  my CPU cycles.  Well I should also run this
on Linux instead of Windows, well at least Linux in time;)

Thank you
Jim Tyrrell

BTW the new engine is really fast with great performance.  It easily cut the
time it took to send out these emails to less then half.