Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Crawford, John" <jc...@techtarget.com> on 2006/01/25 20:22:54 UTC

jmeter download checksum discrepancy

Hi,

I've downloaded JMeter (2.1.1.zip) from several different mirror sites
in the last two days, and for each one, I get this result for my
checksum:
  C:\>sha1sum jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.zip
  5dbbe22bd13a60e09ad7069f33d2177e2feb8b4c *jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.zip
which is not what I'm supposed to see, according to this page:

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/jmeter/binaries/jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.
zip.md5
which causes me to suspect this is not a valid version.

Yet, when I use GnuPG on it, I get:
  C:\>gpg --verify jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.zip.asc
  gpg: Signature made 10/03/05 17:45:16 using DSA key ID BCA973AC
  gpg: Good signature from "Sebastian Bazley (ASF Signing Key)
<se...@apache.org>"
  gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
  Primary key fingerprint: 88D5 36D4 3329 1377 4D62  766D 3FE0 C161 BCA9
73AC
which looks OK (despite the warning).

So: which is right? Is my download a valid version of JMeter or not?
Obviously, I'd like to know before installing it.

Please forgive me if this is a frequently answered question, but I'm new
to JMeter (& GnuPG), and I did not see it in a quick look over this
month's archives. Thanks,
 - John Crawford
   Senior QA Engineer
   TechTarget

Re: jmeter download checksum discrepancy

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In 25/01/06, Crawford, John <jc...@techtarget.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded JMeter (2.1.1.zip) from several different mirror sites
> in the last two days, and for each one, I get this result for my
> checksum:
>   C:\>sha1sum jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.zip
>   5dbbe22bd13a60e09ad7069f33d2177e2feb8b4c *jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.zip
> which is not what I'm supposed to see, according to this page:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/jmeter/binaries/jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.
> zip.md5
> which causes me to suspect this is not a valid version.

Surely sha1sum is not the same as MD5?

Try again with an MD5 checksum tool...

> Yet, when I use GnuPG on it, I get:
>   C:\>gpg --verify jakarta-jmeter-2.1.1.zip.asc
>   gpg: Signature made 10/03/05 17:45:16 using DSA key ID BCA973AC
>   gpg: Good signature from "Sebastian Bazley (ASF Signing Key)
> <se...@apache.org>"
>   gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
>   gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
>   Primary key fingerprint: 88D5 36D4 3329 1377 4D62  766D 3FE0 C161 BCA9
> 73AC
> which looks OK (despite the warning).

Since the signature is good, you can be sure that the file agrees with
it, and has been transferred OK.

None of the JMeter keys have been cross-signed, as far as I know.
It's tricky organising this when we live in different countries ...

> So: which is right? Is my download a valid version of JMeter or not?

On the face of it, yes.

> Obviously, I'd like to know before installing it.

Try creating the MD5 checksum with a different application.