Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Rodwell <ar...@kdpsoftware.co.uk> on 2002/02/18 11:14:27 UTC

Running tomcat port 80

Hi ,

We are trying to get TOMCAT 4.0 to run on the default web port - and can do
it ok on windows.

However when we try the same changes on SuSE Linux 7.3 it will not run.

Somebody suggested that we start it under root - when we try this the
commands are not found.

You might have guessed we are noew to Linux - any ideas?

Regards

Andrew

Re: Running tomcat port 80

Posted by Chuck Amadi <ch...@breconbeacons.org>.
Andrew Rodwell wrote:

>Hi ,
>
>We are trying to get TOMCAT 4.0 to run on the default web port - and can do
>it ok on windows.
>
>However when we try the same changes on SuSE Linux 7.3 it will not run.
>
>Somebody suggested that we start it under root - when we try this the
>commands are not found.
>
>You might have guessed we are noew to Linux - any ideas?
>
>Regards
>
>Andrew

>For additional commands: <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
>Troubles with the list: <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Hey im a relative Linux RHv7.1 user . Anway try this ./startup.sh and to
egleganlty close ./shutdown.sh respectivly
this usually works for web apps/services on Linux .Don't need to be su
(root user)

Re: Running tomcat port 80

Posted by Markus Bengts <ma...@click3.jsp.fi>.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Andrew Rodwell wrote:

> We are trying to get TOMCAT 4.0 to run on the default web port - and can do
> it ok on windows.
>
> However when we try the same changes on SuSE Linux 7.3 it will not run.
>
> Somebody suggested that we start it under root - when we try this the
> commands are not found.

Which commands? You can perhaps try the full path to an executable file.
Something like:

/usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh

  Markus

R: Running tomcat port 80

Posted by Renato Romano <r....@set-network.com>.
You have to run Tomcat as root, because port 80 is reserved on UNIX systems
for use by the superuser;
Probably root can't find the commands because you have to adjust the
environment... just check $PATH, $CATALINA_HOME and $JAVA_HOME of the user
you previosly used to run TOMCAT, and set them approriately for the root
user ...