Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Adib Saikali <ad...@programmingmastery.com> on 2007/08/23 15:57:33 UTC

Developing roller extensions?

Hi,

I have written an extension for roller. My extensions require creating new
models and adding them to the rendering.pageModels property

Currently I override rendering.pageModels in roller-custom.properties, I was
wondering if there is a way to define new page models without having to do
the cut and paste?

In version 4.0 roller.propreties seems to have moved into roller-web.jar so
I don't want to have to tell potential users of the plugins that they have
to go open the roller.properties to do the cut and paste the
rendering.PageModels so that they can add a custom model to it.

One way that roller can support extension developers is buy allowing the
plugin developer to put a plugin.properties file in their distributed .jar
file and have roller read it and add any page models defined in the
plugin.jar to the page models that are part of roller? Any chance that
something like this could be added to roller 4.0 or 4.1?

Cheers
Adib

Re: Developing roller extensions?

Posted by Leon Messerschmidt <le...@lonelyplanet.com.au>.
> > One way that roller can support extension developers is buy allowing
> the
> > plugin developer to put a plugin.properties file in their distributed .jar
> > file and have roller read it and add any page models defined in the
> > plugin.jar to the page models that are part of roller? Any chance that
> > something like this could be added to roller 4.0 or 4.1?
>
> Yes, we need to make plugins easier to install and plugin.properties
> sounds like a reasonable way to do that. As far as I am concerned,
> Roller 4.0 is in bug-fix only mode right now. And currently, there are
> no proposals for doing such work in 4.1. Want to start a proposal?

I that plugin.jar makes provision to register plugins but it would be
nice if the plugin proposal could provide some more extension points to
get to roller data.  With JPA it should already be easier to add some
extra model but there will be a couple of extra things that would make
things easier on developers.

~ Leon

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright.  If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone.  You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.

Re: Developing roller extensions?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 8/23/07, Adib Saikali <ad...@programmingmastery.com> wrote:
> I have written an extension for roller. My extensions require creating new
> models and adding them to the rendering.pageModels property
>
> Currently I override rendering.pageModels in roller-custom.properties, I was
> wondering if there is a way to define new page models without having to do
> the cut and paste?
>
> In version 4.0 roller.propreties seems to have moved into roller-web.jar so
> I don't want to have to tell potential users of the plugins that they have
> to go open the roller.properties to do the cut and paste the
> rendering.PageModels so that they can add a custom model to it.

We include the full roller.properties file in the installation guide,
so you can point your users there.

> One way that roller can support extension developers is buy allowing the
> plugin developer to put a plugin.properties file in their distributed .jar
> file and have roller read it and add any page models defined in the
> plugin.jar to the page models that are part of roller? Any chance that
> something like this could be added to roller 4.0 or 4.1?

Yes, we need to make plugins easier to install and plugin.properties
sounds like a reasonable way to do that. As far as I am concerned,
Roller 4.0 is in bug-fix only mode right now. And currently, there are
no proposals for doing such work in 4.1. Want to start a proposal?

You can see this list of features/fixes currently planned for 4.1 here:
http://tinyurl.com/2r9oae

- Dave