Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com> on 2013/05/08 17:56:16 UTC

External Network Usage

Hey All,
In my Palo Alto Firewall integration, I have not yet implemented usage
tracking.

I am getting messages in the console as follows:
(ExternalNetworkMonitor-1:) Didn't get an external network usage answer for
guest VLAN 3037

I believe this is implemented through the
'ExternalNetworkResourceUsageCommand'.  I have a basic stub in place for
this, but I am just returning a new 'ExternalNetworkResourceUsageAnswer'.

I have not been able to find any documentation on now the
ExternalNetworkMonitor works.  Is there any docs on how to integrate with
this somewhere?  If not, is it possible for someone can give me a basic
idea of how this is expected to function? What type of data should I be
adding to this?

Thanks,

Will

Re: External Network Usage

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
Hi Kishan,
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, that is the only reference I have found as
well.  Since I have never worked with a Juniper device, there are things in
that implementation which are a little difficult to follow.

The usage input and output are actually tracked in different zones in that
implementation, so it does not look like it is just the public IP.  It may
be a biproduct of using source nat per zone, but that is not totally clear
to me.  Also, in that implementation there appears to be tracking of usage
on the private VLAN tags as well.

So this functionality is meant to provide the bytes sent/received over the
public network?  Is that it or is there more to this than just that?

Thanks,

Will

Re: External Network Usage